Adeline

My mind was buzzing two different ways. One was, why are we running? And who the hell was that?! The other was, oh my gods, I'm so close to mercy right now! This will be the story we will tell our kids! No Addy, don't go there! Stupid! I looked up and saw Zero's pale face on Mercy's shoulder. What was he so scared of? It must be dangerous for him to be that scared. I looked ahead and saw a dark cave, and a huge rock nearby. My first thought was, Perfect! Mercy and I will push that rock in front of the hole and we can hide. My second thought was why? As I forget to duck and slam face first into the rock. I stumble and almost fall. Swearing under my breath, I Duck like I was supposed to and crawl in. The cave is much taller inside with a chamber, three more tunnels branching off, and stalagmites and stalactites growing from floor and ceiling(or is it ceiling and floor?). Inside, Coal was pressing Zero for information and Mari was stitching up his wounds. Summer had gotten a fire started. I knew it was summer's because the flame danced with vivid shade of gold and red. Speaking of summer, she was leaning against a wall, her eyes betraying the fear surging through her body. I heard the rock slide into place and waited for mercy to walk over to the fire. Zero looked annoyed, as he growled that he was not a baby anymore. Mercy sat beside him and asked what happened. "I saw them on the beach. They came in big wooden leaves that floated on the water. And they looked like us. But...they had no wings or horns or a tail. I went up to them to get help but they...they..." a shadow had fallen over mercy's face. I looked over at Zero. Sometimes, when I looked at him I thought of my past. About the time when the deathly Eyeless Plague swept through our forest, killing half of the forest dragons. Only those with a natural immunity to the plague survived. I lost my sweet dragon mother, and my kind human father when I was 80. It was devastating for out forest. "It's late." Mercy said. "Go to sleep." (For some strange reason, I thought of a killer with long black hair and a cut smile?🤷‍♀️). Neverless, we laid out our cloaks and put out the fire. I slept with unease that night. When it felt like I had only gotten a second of sleep, I woke to the sound of angry hollers. We all bolted up in time to see our safety rock break in two. "SCATTER!!" Mercy screamed. Which we did. I ran with summer and mercy down the first path, Coal with Mari down the second, and Zero down the third. The rush of darkness enveloped us. After awhile, we sat down and panted for breath. Just in time to hear what sounded like a baby dragon's wing shatter from a long drop.

(I'm sorry but I lost my addy picture and have to make a new one. She has red/brown hair, black cloak, green tunic, green wings/horns/tail.)