The Bear

No one in the busy town recognised her. They would expect a Princess to be in finery but Melody was still wearing her old dress. She felt out of place in a big, expensive dress. She jingled the money in her pocket. She had taken it from Linda with the help of a small spell. She intended to buy a simple dress to replace the one she was wearing. It would make her much less likely to be recognised. However first she must leave the town for someone may see her.

She hurried down the street until the crowd thinned and the busy town became a deserted street. The howls of wolves in the distance carried in on the wind. Melody looked around nervously. The last time she was attacked by wolves she was kidnapped and almost died. She had no wish to repeat the experience.  

She walked along the silent road looking for danger. She saw light not so far ahead so a town was near. She took in the fields and hills and a glint from the near by bushes. She looked closer at the bushes. She took a step backwards and in a quick movement she was pinned down by a bear. Her back pressed against the track and the bears claws dug in her throat. She closed her eyes. She thought desperately for a spell but couldn't think of a word that rhymed with safe.

Safe, lafe, dafe... Melody gave up and thought of another word to use instead of safe. Then was jolted out of her thoughts when the pressure on her throat increased. She was afraid if she breathed the skin would rip. Melody's hand ran across the ground. She grabbed a cool, gagged stone she lifted her hand. She shoved the stone with all her strength into the bears side. The bears grip loosened and Melody rolled from under the creature. She knew that the bear would be faster than her so she collected another stone and moved towards the town.

The bear recovered quickly. He lunged towards her a second time and she sidestepped. The bear stumbled and landed flat on his face. Melody threw her stones to confuse the bear. She ran breathless towards the lights where she knew she was safe.

The town was just like the one she had been in previously. She brought a new dress and changed into it. She threw her old clothes to a homeless person on the street. They seemed to need it more than she did.

The dimming light was becoming a problem but Melody was determined to reach the mage before night. There was only a small walk left. She hurried along the overgrown path. The path was lined with weeds higher than her head. She rushed though until she came to an old cottage. She knocked timidly on the door.

The door swung open to reveal an ordinary man. He had ordinary hair which was grey and sparse. He had ordinary clothes and even a pair of ordinary spectacles. Melody couldn't stop staring though because the one thing that wasn't ordinary was his long beard. His very long beard. It trailed behind him, along the floor and out the window. Melody gave up wondering when it ended and looked at his face. "Can't you see I was in the middle of something?" He demanded. Then he looked at Melody for the first time. "Oh! Its not you! Oh wait it is you but not the you I thought you would be..." He trailed off realizing that sentence didn't make much sense.

Melody frowned in confusion. Deciding to ignore everything he just said she introduced herself, "I'm Melody. I would like your help."

Nodding thoughtfully he replied, "Help with what?"

Melody replied, "Healing."

The door slammed.