Flame

The papers were put in two piles on the desk. One for Melody, one for Linda. The piles were about even at the moment. Melody crossed her fingers behind her back. There were only a few more people in the line. Melody's heart sunk as she watched Lindas pile become taller. Melody saw the smirk plastered on Linda's face but then the smirk slowly turned into a glare. Melody looked back to the piles to see the piles were the same size. There were no more people left to vote.

Not many people were allowed to vote. Just important people from nearby towns. So each pile was short. Melody and Linda were escorted from the room. Melody heard Lindas complaints, "But who won?" 

Melody walked up to her room. Flame ducked under her skirts and onto the bed. He asked, "Now what?"

Melody sighed exhausted. Her eyes were closing and she mumbled, "Now, we sleep." She drifted into sleep still in her dress that fanned out around her.

Flame flew down the halls avoiding guards. His destination was the counting room. Inside the counting room, as the name suggested, was where the votes would be counted. Flame wanted to know who had won the vote.

He hovered outside the door, listening in. He only caught some of the conversation. "The vote ... close ... won by one vote. ... winner was ..." Flame groaned as the most important part of the conversation was blocked out. He didn't notice the door opening, until it was too late. He swerved  upwards but the door still hit him. It sent him tumbling through the air. His wing had been hurt so when he tried to correct himself he veered to the side and crashed into wall.

He half ran, half flew down the corridors. He desperately turned another corner. He was headed for the gardens. When he reached the door he couldn't open it. Breathing fire over it the door melted and burned. Flame jumped through the hole he had created and into the garden.

The guards followed. Flame looked around for Star. She could help him. She had more magic than him. Flame scanned the garden. Unable to find her flame turned around. The guards were a few steps away. Flame breathed his hot breath on them and there armour melted. The clothes underneath started catching fire. Most of the guards ran away, but a determined few stayed. Flame breathed another jet of fire towards the remaining guards. All but one fled. Flame backed up slowly. He hated killing people but if this guard came any closer that's what he would have to do. The guard strided towards him and fire hit his armour. It started to melt but the guard came closer. Then his clothes caught fire but he came closer still. His skin started to burn but he made a grab for Flame. Making the fire even warmer it lept out of Flames mouth and burned the guard to ash. Flame stayed plastered against the wall praying more guards wouldn't come.

Reluctantly he stepped forwards looking around. No one was there. He breathed a sigh of  relief. He slowly made his way to Melodys room. He jumped through the hole in hall and saw another guard. He stiffend for a moment before he realized it was Mike.

Mike ran towards him. He saw the blood dripping from his wing. He scooped up the dragon and ran with him to Melody's room.

The bell sounded across the castle. The bell ment the results of the vote would be announced and everyone should go to the grand hall. Mike continued to run for Melodys room. He opened the door. However Melody was changing clothes when he barged in. Luckily she still had petticoats on. Melody blushed bright red.

She threw a dress over her head. Still blushing furiously she noticed Flame for the first time. Her eyes widened. "Is he okay? what happend..." The rest of her sentence was cut off as Flame interupted.

"I'm fine." He huffed. Melody reached for the healing potion. As she unscrewed the lid Flame cut in, "Where did you get that?" 

Melody answerd, "A wizard."

Flame looked like he wanted to ask more questions but stayed silent. Mike just looked confused. Melody was about to tip a little of the mixture onto Flames wing when Flame orded her, "Stop! You need to save it."

Melody protested, "but your hurt."

Flame shrugged. "We need to get to the grand hall anyway. Bring the potion."