Rewind Time

Melody looked between them. She had to decide fast or both would die. 

"Don't pick me." Flame whispered. "Save the queen."

The queen shook her head. "Save Flame."

Great. Now they were both asking her to save the other. Melody knew then who she was going to save. She must save the queen. If she let the queen die the people would hate her. So she would never be queen. This would allow Linda to rule. She had to finish what she started. She had to let Flame die. This ran through her mind at a hundred miles an hour. She thought for only one second more.  She swallowed tears and glanced at Flame.

She walked across to the queen and the crowd cheered. Melody was overcome with sadness. The anger she was once feeling dissolved and with it her spell. Linda stood up. Also the man with the arrows stood up and aimed for Melody's head. The woman with the knives stood and aimed also.

Each stood on opposite ends of the room. The arrow was flying through the air as was the knife. Both headed for Melody. Unaware of this Melody knelt down to give the queen the potion and both weapons harmlessly skimmed past her head. The arrow flew across the room and lodged itself into the woman's chest just as she was about to throw another blade. The blade she threw previously hit the man about to fire an arrow. They both dropped to the floor.

Melody unscrewed the lid and dribbled the potion into the queens parted lips. Suddenly a shove from behind caused Melody to drop the potion. She reached out to grab it, however the potion carried on flying over the crowd. Hands reached  for the vile but everone missed.

The vile hit the floor with a clatter. For a second nothing happened. The whole room held their breath. However the potion still smashed into a million pieces. The smashed glass and blue liquid flew into the air. It was a beautiful sight. Yet Melody drew nothing but sadness from the smashed vile. Since her hopes of saving the queen smashed with it, she felt nothing to be happy about.

 Melody sat down and cried.

The tears leaked out of her eyes and fell silently down her face. It was her fault. Why didn't she catch it? or stop it with a spell? It was her fault. She could have saved someones life but now both would die. Because of her.

Melody felt two puzzle piece's fit together. She had been pushed. Linda had been the one standing behind her. It wasn't her fault. It was Linda's. Instead of sadness Melody now felt angry. She stood and turned to face Linda.  

"Do you realise what you just did?" Melody hissed. She knew Linda wanted the queen dead. Melody wanted Linda to admit that in front of all these people.

"Of course I realise what I just did." Linda laughed. Melody didn't know how Linda could take her mothers life so lightly. Her anger grew. She wished she could go back in time. Change what had happened.

Then Linda started moving in slow motion. Then everything started to moved backwards. Time went so slow it moved backwards. Melody stepped forwards. Leaving a shadow of herself moving away from Linda. Melody curiously watched everything rewind. She knew immediately then what to do. She ran across the room to where the broken potion lay. It slowly put itself back together. Melody snatched it out of the air. Much like she had stepped out of herself the potion seemed to come out itself too. The shadow potion flew back to shadow Melody's hand. Then time slowed again. Melody realised time was correcting itself. She ran across to her shadow and stepped inside herself.

Time once again moved forwards. Melody felt a push from behind. This time she knew it was coming. This time she was prepared. She braced hereself and didn't drop the potion. She unscrewed the lid and tipped it down the queens throat. This time she would take no chances.

Then she noticed it. It was in her right hand. It was a second potion. She one she had snatched out of the air. If she had two and had just used one on the queen, that meant she had one left for... "Flame!" Melody cried. She ran across the room to Flames side. He lay so still Melody thought she might be too late. Please be alive, please don't let it be too late she chanted in her head. If she thought it enough times maybe it would be true. She unscrewed the lid and tipped it between his lips. She prayed silently.

Please let him live.