Chapter 29: The bird drowned

Qrow's P.O.V.

When Nora said we were gonna die. I knew, that wasn't going to happening. At least not now!! I push my way to the control room where Ren was struggling with the buttons and switches.

"Which one is land, red or green!!" He says in a panic tone.

I look at all the controls. And pressed one button, nothing happened. That means the controls aren't working!! Damn!!

"Uncle Qrow what are we gonna do!!" Ruby yells turning more pale.
"WE'RE GONNA DIE!!" Nora screams and starts bursting into tears.
"But I didn't even get to see my sister!!" Weiss sobs.

I groan, "No one is going to die!! For god sake, get a hold of yourself!!"

Great, I turned into Winter...

I put a hand under my chin.
What to do? What to do?

I look through the window seeing the land ground faraway. At the speed we're traveling, it won't be long till we plummet to the ground.

I look behind me to see the team.
"Okay kids listen up.."

I point to Weiss
"You know those snowflakes launch pad things you do.. make a protective base around the jet so that it looks like a cushion."

Weiss nods taking her sword up and marching off to the roof.

I turn to the orange haired girl. 
"You can turn electricity into strength, try doing the opposite... then transfer it to the controls... that should make the controls working again."

Nora looks at me scratching the back of her head "I'll try.."

I sighed and looked at the rest of the group. "The rest of you, prepare for impact, this is gonna be a bumpy ride.."

Everybody straps into their seatbelts while I go to Nora who was glowing with electricity. "Wow!! This actually works!! But I don't know how long I can hold it!!"

I nod, then clicked a few buttons. I remember stealing a jet with Raven and going for a fly. It should be the same as this.

I sighed, I have to do this. I can't die when I'm so close to seeing Winter again. I pull the handle up making the jet fly smoother then hit a few more switches.

This isn't so bad...
BEEP!! BEEP!! BEEP!!

I spoke to soon.
I grunt, trying to pull the jet back to a smoother fly. I look over to Nora to see her electricity sparking almost to nothing, but she's still holding on.

"Just a little longer, kid. We're almost there..." I said pulling hard onto the controls. "Kid?"

Nora drops onto the floor, knocked out. Nevermind, this is definitely bad. I'm guessing she never had time to practice how much energy she should be using.

I quickly called Jaune, he hurried in as I kept my eyes in the sky. I fumbled with the controls trying to make use of what I had.

Near the glass pane, I could see ice forming. Must've been Weiss' barrier. I grunted, giving up on the control and went to the other room seeing everyone strapped up in a seat. There was one more left.

I looked behind me to see Weiss standing up. Only one of us could be belted in.

"Weiss, get in... you can still put up the barriers right?" I said without even thinking, but knew I was making the right choice.

Her eyes widened "What?! But you'll die from the impact!!"

I shook my head. "I'll be fine.."
Would I?

"Uncle Qrow..." Ruby teared up. I fluffed up her hair "it'll be fine.." I responded.

I hurried back to the opening, and slides the door. Revealing the shivering air that hit me.

I need to make sure, there will be casualties down below during this crash. The last thing I need is Jimmy giving me a 10 hour speech about how important the safety of Atlas is.

I transformed into bird, letting my skin turn into feathers and my arms into wings. I flew through the clouds and scanned the area. There was a lake nearby. If the plane could crash their, that would limit the destruction.

That was the only plan I had, so I went with it. I flew back to the control room turning back into a human, and with all my might, I shifted the handle to the right.

I could see the ground coming closer and closer, the copter tilting to the right. My ears are filled with screams of civilians. Just a little more and...

FWOOOOSSSSHHHHHH!!!!!

My head bangs into the table as I collapsed onto the floor. I could feel something wet trickling down my head. But I wasn't sure if it was water or my own blood. Probably the second one.

The window starts to crack and water erupts circling around my body, and I can hear the kids calling out my name.

At least the kids made it alive.. But.. Damn... I never even got to see Winter..

My vision grows blurry, so I shut my eyes. Leaving me alone with the darkness.