Chapter 13

"I'm back."

"So..." Clair stood leaning against the banister of the stairs leading to his apartment, "it's ten in the morning. Where've you been all night?

"Working."

"Hm. Still looking for a certain Adrien Agreste?"

"... Yeah."

"I see. Did you..." He started up the stairs and she followed not too far behind him, "did you find any leads?"

"No."

"Hm. That's a shame."

The two were silent the rest of the way up to his apartment until he shut and locked the front door behind him. He watched as Marinette headed straight to the bathroom and he, in turn, headed straight for the kitchen. His stomach reminded him he hadn't had breakfast yet, so he fished a carton of eggs from the refrigerator and set a pan on the stove.

"You're an idiot, you know that?"

"I try."

"What the the heck is wrong with you?"

"Nothing's wrong with me. I'm just... Unique, is all."

Clair smiled to himself and watched the yolk of the egg burst at the center of the pan. He sighed and moved the spatula around the egg to gather whatever was left of the yolk. Every girl... I've never really told them anything. That's all I said. Unique. I'm unique. Well, I'm literally just...

"I'm not that hungry."

He turned to Marinette as she walked in and sat at the kitchen island behind him, "oh?"

"Yeah, sorry. I found a café and had breakfast there." She smiled, "I mean, it wasn't the best, but I skipped dinner last night, so I couldn't wait to get back to eat."

"Ah." Clair looked back down at the pan and cracked a second egg into it, "I need to talk to you."

"Huh?"

He set the spatula on the counter, grabbed Marinette's wrist, and pulled her to stand up.

"Clair, wh-what are you doing?!"

He didn't listen to her as he only pushed her against the wall and leaned in close.

"Clair!!"

"Marinette." He smirked, "I can see right through you."

"What are you talking about?!"

He lowered his voice and sighed.

"You found him."

She stared at him, "h-how did..."

"I can see it in your eyes." Clair stepped away from her and returned to his pan of burnt sunny-side up eggs, "sit down. I need to tell you something..."

"Now hang on!" Marinette ran up to him defensively, "you can't just see that from looking at my eyes! How did you know?!"

"Because." Clair sighed as he absentmindedly tossed the frying pan into the sink and clapped his hands together, "I think my story comes first, though. So, you listen up, little girl."

Marinette looked at him nervously and swallowed hard, nodding slightly.

"So." Clair crossed his arms, "I'm not who you think I am."

"Please, tell me something I don't know. You're such a liar, you've been lying to me all this time." 

"Oh? You knew? Then you tell me. What am I about to say?"