Chapter 6

Johnny actually has a twitter that Jhonen set up... It's great.

--------------------

(Roy's POV)

He looked up at me from the smoothie, a bored expression on his face. "What?"

"Well, someone is paying me an astronomical amount of money so they can have you for a reason I was never told. I just wanna know what someone like you had to do for them to what you this badly," I said, spinning the straw around the hole in the lid.

He looked down, copying my straw movement, almost looking sad at his answer. "I've done a lot of fucked up shit lately. But he's probably someone that escaped..." his expression changed again, this time to one of curiosity, completely opposite to the sadness a moment ago. "Or maybe he was a friend or family member of someone I used."

"Used?"

"For the wall, so the demons don't get out." He spoke as if it were the obvious answer.

Weirdest response I've ever heard, "So... what do you do to this... wall."

"I use the blood to paint it, the demon wants me to paint it, it's the only thing keeping it trapped there. That's why I need bodies, that's why I need blood..." He finished, head low as he drank again, staring directly at me. "What did you say was in this, ginger?"

"Why do you need to keep the thing in the wall? What would happen if it got out?" Sip.

He didn't answer right away. What felt like a minute passes, and I could here the air pass through his straw, slurping up the last few drops of drink and making that annoying sound, that everyone should know at this point. "I don't know, but I don't want to find out, the DoughBoys don't want to find out either, there the ones that told me to paint it, they work for the wall."

"Wait, DoughBoys?" But he ignored me, continuing to talk.

"Well, actually only the first one wants me to paint the wall, Mr. Fuck just wants me to kill myself. The wall monster wants me to kill myself so it can get out, but we don't want it to get out, so we keep painting it so it can't escape, but it keeps eating through the barrier..." He was crushing the cup in his hands while he spoke, word growing frantic and fast. "I need to get home and paint it again, I need to find someone else, soon. I can't let it leave! Do you UNDERSTAND ME? LET ME OUT OF HERE!"

He went back to trying to get out, a new fear induced motivation this time. Fear that the monster he believed in would escape a wall that seemed to be his motive for murder.

"Hey, hey..." I tried with a soft voice. I had no idea how to reassure someone in a situation like this. I just took the cup from between his hands, and in turn he looked at me.

"You need to let me go. NOW!" And I was taken aback. What do I say to that?

"I can't." I checked my phone, it was just hitting eight am. I had just about four hours till the neighbor came to check up on me. She  tended to bring me groceries when I didn't have time to run out, I was a busy man after all.

How does one reassure someone like Johnny? "I'll tell you this..." I tried. He looked up at me, angry and frantic. Fear wasn't quite the word to call it, but it wasn't not fear...? "Five days, he comes to pick you up in five days. Can the... barrier, last that long?"

He seemed to think for a minute before nodding quickly.

I didn't let him speak, cutting him off before he could try, "And you seem smart enough... When I hand you off, after I get paid... You could probably just kill the client," I tried.

He looked at me confused. "I don't need him after I get paid. He also seems to be rushed, sloppy... forgetful even, I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard. You could even paint the wall with him."

"And what makes you think that you won't be my first target after I get out of here?"

Now this one I've thought of. I leaned my forehead against his, keeping my body a decent distance away. Even with his hands free, he could only reach to about his chin if he tried,

I was safe. This was purely for intimidation, "Because I'm the only thing that can keep him from killing you as soon as he has you. I could get you more time..." I said, backing away.

"That still doesn't ensure your safety for after he's dead."

"... I'll just have to trust you..." That wasn't happening, but I got the face I wanted from him: pure confusion. This poor thing was broken inside, I figure I'll either need to break it some more... or try to find the missing pieces.

He had no one to rely on, no one to talk to it seemed, aside from the voices he heard that weren't really there. Nothing was there to stabilize his emotions...

I'll have to stay calm, act calm around him, keep his guard down. Keep him calm too. He was almost nice when he was calm. Like breakfast, that was nice, as much as it could be with one of the guests tied up at least.

I'd have to keep up an act of 'trust' as much as I could. Maybe I could get stockholm syndrome to set in, or something along those lines. Anything to not end up at the other end of a knife in this man's hands.

I put on a soft smile, folding up the chair I brought in and started to head out.

"Wait!" his voice was angry again, only calming after a pause, "Turn off the light when you leave!" More odd requests, but this one I could actually do.

I continued to lock the door fully, trying to find a suitable was to contain him again as soon as he gets out, because it was obvious that he was going to get out. Soon too.