Chapter 14

(Roy's POV)

Well, I did it.

It's six in the fucking morning, and I'm making pancakes.

Fucking... Why.

I wonder if Johnny ever slept? Not once have I walked in on him asleep, or even drowsy for that matter. The bags under his eyes were dark and sunken in to the point they looked bruised. Or like eyeliner someone forgot to wash off and it got smeared down their face against the sheets. But it's like... under the skin.

I set everything up on a little tray so I could bring it down the stairs without dropping it. I mean, it was still paper plates and plastic cups of orange juice, but I really didn't wanna clean liquids and syrup out of the concrete. It's already gonna be hard to explain the miscellaneous blood stains to Connie, but I really don't need her questioning things any more than normal.

I tapped against the door, letting him know I was on the other side. I set the tray down on the other side of the door on the little table. Wow, how tired was I the first night, I left the taser on the table... I should really move that...

He was sitting in the corner when I opened the door, sleeping back wrapped around him in a big twisted knot, not even open. But completely continuous.

He was wedged between the wall and the chair, trying to get comfortable in the tight space that I probably couldn't even fit in. And he just stared at me. Didn't get up, barely even looked out the door. Just... stared. So I put a big smile on my face.

"I didn't know what you'd like, so I-"

"How much did you hear."

He was figuratively and literally cornered, trying to be defensive as much as possible.

"All of it." He twitched at the answer, neither angry nor confused at the answer. It just wasn't the answer he was hoping for. "You know," I started, "the buyer... You still have three days. As soon as he gets here, I get paid, it's an instant funds transfer. And I'd like to... Hire you. In a way."

His curiosity was peaked now, eyes widening with interest.

"Technically, once I hand you over, you're no longer my problem, but maybe you could be an asset. He still knows information about me that he could hold over my head any time he wants something. But maybe once you're alone with him you could make my problem, sorta... go away."

"So you're asking me to kill him for you."

"... Yes. It felt weird saying it out loud. In my head I knew exactly what I was asking, but saying it out loud. The idea that I was asking someone to end a life for me, just to make my life easier... I didn't know what I was saying. But it was happening. "Hey, Johnny?"

"What?"

"Could I call you Nny again?" I asked, his eyes finally locking with mine, "I like it."

"That depends."

"On what?"

He paused for a second to articulate his words. He may not have been sleeping, but he was tired. Wired to no end, but behind that it seemed like he needed sleep. "Do you forgive me, for trying to escape?" I just nodded my head, smile turning a bit more genuine at him. "Than yes... and yes."

"What's the second yes for?"

"I'll kill him for you. If you really need me to." He stared down at the ground again, crushing any leftover bread crumbs into the pores of the concrete between his feet.

After breakfast, which Nny joyously wolfed down, I had an idea.

"Do you wanna make lunch with me? Upstairs?" And he agreed. I wasn't gonna let him roam freely, no. I mean, he almost got away yesterday! Though, Johnny didn't seem so understanding when I handcuffed him to the fridge. "So what can we make that you can hold, because I'm not risking uncuffing you."