Uyai (four)

After succeeding in convincing the old man in not so sweet words that heaven might not be in need of him for now, affronted he stumbled out of Ete Affiong's hut, cursing heavily.

Ete Affiong's only reply was to turn to his companions to announce his retirement, silently urging them to leave his hut so he can eat his wife's delicious food alone and undisturbed.
He darted his eyes about, taking in their hungry expression as the aroma of the food crept in enticing their taste buds. Already he could see some of them swallowing loudly with their Adam's apple bobbing up and down.

Ete Affiong frowned.

He had to get them out now before they start developing ideas, like wanting to stay back and eat. No way was he going to let that happen, he just has to remind them that they are fathers and husbands.

"Ufan mi(my friends) it's about time you go back home to the comfort of your wives arms, to your meals she had made ready for you. Er... I am going inside eh. Bye bye. My regards to your wives." he said and briskly entered his hut ignoring their sounds of protest.

Inside his hut, he waited behind the faded curtains and listened for sounds of shuffling feet, or any sign of movement. He was not disappointed as he heard them bid themselves farewell.

"Ima mi (my love), what are you doing?" startled, he jumped.

"Wife you scared me. Ehen, where's my food? I'm afraid the worms in my stomach are starving." he playfully told his wife.

"Oh, the worms. What a pity. I guess I just have to feed the poor things." she smiled lovingly at her husband.

"Ah... That is why I love you. You are so kind, you care for even the little things." he grinned and wrapped his arms around her.
"Let's go my wife, my olfactory senses will lead the way."

She laughed.
"It's your favorite you know?"

"I know, my senses are functioning perfectly, I doubt I'll lose it any time when it comes to my wife's cooking. "

"Husband you flatter me." she giggled

"Of course, it is my job." he smiled and together they walked to where their senses led them.

***
Uyai stretched as she came out of the hut. "Ah! My back." She groaned while massaging the painfully throbbing part of her back. She was just so tired, her muscles were strained with tension, her whole body ached. Grimacing, she swore softly and began strolling to the backyard, perhaps some well deserved fresh air would do her some good. She winged her hands together and cracked her knuckles to loosen it's stiffness, at the same time trying to suppress a yawn.
A fly flew by and her step faltered, annoyed she chose to ignore it and continued strolling, but the stubborn creature was bold enough to perch on her nose. More irritated than before, not hesitating, she flung her hand to wave it off or probably kill it, but only succeeded in slapping her nose.

"Aw!" she groaned, her day just seemed to be getting worse. Uyai didn't know whether she should cry or laugh. She felt like stumping her feet, but thought twice of it, that'll make her look stupid. She looked down with her shoulders slumped and began to trace imaginary lines as she walked, then remembering that she had spotted a paw paw that had shown early signs of ripening. She paused, and then grinned. It should be ripe by now. Hurrying her pace, she semi ran to the site she had spotted it only to suddenly stop as she was met with an unwelcoming sight.
"No, no no...." she shook her head, and looked at the flying creatures, both the birds and flies dancing round the remains of the paw paw, it's succulent flesh torn open as they feed on it. And you know what? They completely ignored her even as her feet moved her closer. They couldn't even respect the higher authority by flying away, but no. They continued feeding as if her presence didn't matter.
But something else now got her full attention. That something was lurking behind the palm tree that was known to be her refuge, she watched fascinated as it paced forward and backward, both arms akimbo. Er...that something , was a young man, a tall handsome young man she recognized.  Like Affiong, he was light-skinned and had a muscular build that was to some swoon worthy.