Uyai (sixteen)

"Careful, careful." Effiong warned as he slowly and assisted Affiong out of the truck.

She hissed in reply as her toe accidentally struck a yam.

"Sorry, sorry." he winced, knowing it must have hurt her. When her feet had finally settled on the floor. He fixed it a worried glance, checking for a swelling, and sighed in relief when he found none.

"Are you okay?" he looked her in eye trying to gauge how she felt, but she averted her gaze to the floor shyly.

Effiong smiled. So cute.

"Uyai, you ladies are okay here right?"

Uyai who had been watching the scene with raised eyebrow, finally took a good look at where she was. The numerous buses parked side by side Was this the bus stop? She voiced it. "Is this the bus stop?"

"yes." he nodded.

"Okay thank you. I guess we should say our goodbyes here." she looked at him

"Yes we should." He said, his gaze drawn to Affiong. She looked so calm and pretty standing there looking so innocent, her lower lip was between her teeth.

Of course Uyai noticed the looks Effiong was giving Affiong and almost snorted. After he'll say he has fallen out of love.

Effiong took out a pen that was hidden somewhere inside the pocket of his blue trouser and went closer to Affiong.

Affiong blinked, taken aback by his closeness.

"Err..." he smiled nervously, taking her hand; his shook as he upturned hers to view her soft delicate palm.

Uyai watched him with narrowed eyes. What's up with him?

She watched as he took the pen and scribbled something on her palm.

"T-This is my number. I-In case you need someone to you know, talk to? You can just call me." He said to her, Uyai watched as Affiong's eyes widened in shock and somewhat gratitude?

Uyai scoffed now. "Effiong can I talk to you for a second?" she called from behind. He whipped his head to her as if just remembering her presence.

"Err...sure." he shrugged

When he had neared her. Uyai raised an eyebrow.

"What is it?"

"You still love her." she pointed.

"Who Affiong?"

"No. Jesus." she rolled her eyes.

He blushed embarrassed.
"Okay I'll admit, but I can't help it." he muttered lowly, quickly glancing at the subject of their discussion. "I really thought I've overgrown any feelings I had for her, I think seeing her up close brought it back." he grimaced guiltily.

Uyai nodded furtively. "So are you going to do anything about it?"

"I don't know." he shrugged ruefully. "Don't you think its too late? Besides she doesn't like me."

"In this present condition, does she have a choice?"

"Yes. She does. You can't force love you know." he asserted

"But you can learn to love." Uyai pointed out. As far as she was concerned, you can learn to love someone you hate if you decide to see the good in that person and spend lots of time with him/her. It was definitely a possibility.

"I guess so." he said thoughtfully.

"Eh Effiong, where can I get a phone here?" she asked Effiong, her gaze roving the busy park, taking note of the many stalls with different signs on them. The park was just adjacent to the busy road where different cars zoomed past. Cars she had never seen in her years of living but had read in books. It still felt like a dream to Uyai. The city was just as she imagined with beautiful bright lights, fancy buildings and cars. Beautifully dressed ladies and men. Suddenly she was ecstatic--she couldn't wait to settle down.