Uyai (Thirty-one)

Uyai had been learning how to sew with Mrs. Chance apprentices who encouraged her and found that she had a natural talent for fashion and style. Unknowing to her her sister Affiong was now a professional hairdresser. She'd been learning with Mrs. Ekpenyong while Uyai was away at the studio. She was so adapt at it that often women who frequented Mrs. Ekpenyong's salon had also requested for her magic hand, so she heard, drawing in more customers than before.

Mrs. Ekpenyong saw the need for Uyai to learn a skill. Modeling for her was not a long term job and certainly not a skill that will pay in the long run. Uyai saw sense in it and agreed immediately and now she found herself sketching out designs that were vogue worthy according to Mrs. Chance. In a week time she had learnt what other apprentices could not. One of her designs; a peach coloured ankle length dress with a slit on the side, a cape like lacy material hung around the bust line falling over the shoulders; it was a handless gown and was beautified with stones making it sparkle under light. It was being modelled for a shoot and the wearer was non other than Isabelle who flaunted it seductively unbeknownst to her that the designer was Uyai, the girl her snide looks had been reserved for.

"Uyai come here." Mrs. Chance motioned her forward to where she and Mr. Ken stood; His arms were folded, his stance intimidating and his expression as usual blank.

"Isabelle, postpone that for now and come here. You too Catherine." she called out to them.

They both sashayed with additional taunt in the sway of their hips as if trying to provoke someone and that someone might be her? Their disdain was becoming more obvious as the days passed.

Uyai shook her head to quell the thoughts of their sudden dislike especially Catherine the last person she expected to look at her with contempt.

"Now that you're all here, we need to have a meeting, so come with me to my office. Mr. Ken?" she averted her to Mr. Ken who nodded stiffly.

Together they quietly sauntered to Mrs. Chance office while passing the now lit corridor, the sound of their shoe heels deafening the silence.

Mrs. Chance and Mr. Ken took to their seats and faced them squarely. They weren't given permission to seat, so they didn't but stood with hands behind their backs like children expecting a scolding.

"Seat." Mrs. Chance gestured to the sofa opposite her and willingly they obeyed.

"You should suspect why I called you correct?" She placed her hand on the mahogany table that had on them neatly arranged folders and a flower vase that held artificial flowers. Her eyes roamed their faces as if expecting a response.

They nodded in unison.

"Well this is just to inform us formally that we'll be heading for camp on Thursday at the Ivory Resort in Abuja. Since it's Monday, we have just two days to be ready for this trip; I had mentioned this before hand so I expect a level of preparedness and I hope you're psyched up for this trip 'cause it's going to be a life changing experience for you. Before I proceed further, any question?" she paused

Uyai and the rest shared a look and then returned their gaze to Mrs. Chance.

"No questions then I presume." She swiveled her gaze to Mr. Ken. "Mr. Ken do you have something to say?"

"In fact I do." he breathed , then continued " remember this is a competition. The moment you arrive at the camp your competition begins. The list of items prepared for you are expected to be carried along." he said referring to the long drafted list of items they'd earlier distributed to the three of them. "It is important that you don't miss out anything. And also note for future reference, every contestant you meet is a rival, only don't let it show, always, note, always keep a friendly smile. This is about the survival of the fittest." He warned