Uyai (nineteen)

Uyai, Affiong and Gift were in the shopping mal, precisely in the clothing section . Mrs. Ekpenyong was outside talking to an apparently long lost friend. Judging from the ticking clock placed on the purple and pink painted wall, it had been over an hour and Uyai could still hear their girlish giggles as the reminisced old times.

Uyai and Affiong sat on the long fluffy red sofa with beautiful patterns decorating it's edges while waiting for Gift who was taking three hundred and sixty seconds in the closet to try on a blue coloured gown she had sworn was "the one".

Three hundred and sixty one...

The pink satin curtain that separated the changing room from the room flew to the side and Gift came out in all her glory and Uyai couldn't help but admire the gorgeous blue gown which highlighted well her skin tone, the fluffy white lace at the bottom of the skirt that flared slightly before falling to her knees. She looked beautiful with her pigtails hanging loosely on his either side of her face wearing a wide grin as she gauged their expression.

Apparently Uyai's expression gave her the result she wanted because her grin widened.

"I am so taking this." she cried in excitement and skipped to the in built mirror by the side of the room.

"You should it's fine." Uyai gave a thumbs up in approval and nudged Affiong who was quiet all this while. Uyai followed the direction of Affiong's eyes and found that her sister's gaze was fixated on gorgeous red gown that seemed too revealing for Uyai's liking.

Trust Affiong to like that, Uyai rolled her eyes.

"Ah fine girl, see how the cloth fit you." a female voice said and Uyai whipped her head to the direction of her voice.
A lady stood beside the sales lady who was straightening out a wrinkled gray skirt that hung from the metallic hanger. Her bulging eyes with the thick lashes that looked too artificial to be real appraised Gift's dress with a friendly smile.

"I know." Gift replied bluntly. Her tone appearing rude.

"Gift why don't you tell her thank you?" Uyai laughed nervously while looking at Gift with pleading eyes.

"Why would I? I already know it fits me." she shot Uyai a frown and turned back to the mirror without acknowledging the woman.

Uyai stole a glance at the woman and her eyes widened when she saw the lady walking towards her.

Gift and her mouth. This girl would be the death of me.

"Aunty I like your hair." Uyai stood up immediately leaving Affiong whose eyes couldn't leave the red dress and complimented the lady when she had neared her.

"Thank you." The lady grinned widely exposing her lipstick stain teeth due to the too bright beige colour she had donned. She flicked the hair behind her as if...

Uyai struggled hard to resist wrinkling her nose. What she had failed to admit was that she liked the maroon colour of her hair but disliked it on her black complexion and worse her outfit was a colour riot and Uyai was tempted to ask her if she was colour blind.

Uyai forced a smile. Unlike Gift, she knew how to hold it in; she knew how to be diplomatic.

"Aunty Uyai it's your tur-" Gift began when she was done admiring herself in the mirror, but her speech was cut short when she saw the lady fully.

Uyai didn't need to tell you or anyone exactly the expression Gift wore. You guys can guess alright.

Yes, Gift mouth was agape, she could swallow a whole building with it, her eyes were rounded like saucers. She stood staring at the woman for over twenty seconds before she got back herself.