Uyai (thirty-three)

"You know you just sold your daughter for money." grandmother shook her head disapprovingly at father who kept walking funny as they left Mrs. change office; he intermittently wiggled his feet with every step as if suffering from a sudden muscle spasm. She didn't know if others noticed it but she made it her duty to be acutely conscious and wary of any movement father made because at times he was unpredictable.

Uyai stole a glance at mother as they walked stiffly beside each other. Mother was quiet, too quiet and had not uttered a word since the final decision had been made for Uyai to continue with the contest. Only her lips had a cynic twist to it, a sign that she was contemplating on a matter privy to she, herself and her.

Uyai took notice of the fact that mother had not acknowledged her presence even once but seemed to be avoiding her however how impossible that was seeing they walking quite close to each other.

Would they ever breach their strained relationship?

"Sold? I did no such thing." Father denied abruptly, pausing again to wriggle his shoe clad feet.

"Yes. Sold. Weren't you against her strutting her behind for the world to see? And in her undies for that matter!" she gave him a pointed look, making sure to narrow her gaze in a heated glare.

"Mama!" he grinned cheekily giving her a pat in the back "It's a normal thing girls do. Besides Uyai has nothing behind to strut, so it's okay. Like I said who would like to look at a walking stick?" he shrugged carelessly and wrinkled his nose for effect.

Uyai winced and deftly stole a glance at the models who were huddled together as if planning a coup. At their curious gazes she abruptly averted her eyes to her opened toe sandals. How she wanted to hide when her father repeated the same thing he had said to Mrs. Chance and he did it in front of the models who at that moment looked utterly confused thank goodness.

"Goodness!" Grandmother huffed annoyed, and angrily shrugged away father's arms looking disbelievingly at him "As a father don't you think you're too harsh?"

"I'm her father. It's my job to state the truth. Besides who knows, like Agbani Darego she could be the next Miss. World. Don't you think so wife?" He turned to mother.

"Who said anything a about Miss. World, she's not contesting for that." Grandmother scoffed and upturned her nose in annoyance

"I'm still not comfortable with her participating..." mother began to show her disdain in the matter, her face twisted in a frown.

"It doesn't matter she's goi--wait!" he paused, abruptly halting his step. "So this is not Miss. World?" He enquired with a huge frown.

"Weren't you listening all this while?" grandmother rolled her eyes.

"Then what in the world is she going for if not Miss. World?" He threw his hands in the air for good measure.

"Something akin to Miss. World." Uyai mumbled, casually bypassing the other models feigning unawareness of their presence; her eyes carefully avoiding theirs. Especially Presh, she didn't know how she was going to tell her she was back on the contest after raising her hopes up.

"Er? Does the same benefit apply?" he asked worriedly.

"Yes Papa." Uyai internally rolled her eyes.

"Ah! Good." He exhaled. "Wife, there's something wrong with this shoe you bought for me." He frowned. He felt like his precious feet were imprisoned in the little confinement called a cover shoe. How in the world was his feet going to breathe without the cool sensation of a fleeting breeze caressing it. He felt so utterly uncomfortable since he wore it but hid it well enough until now. He couldn't wait to go home and sink in feet inside his ever reliable discoloured slippers that had till date served it's purpose. Why his wife had to buy this shoe was beyond him.