Uyai (twenty-nine)

Uyai met Effiong halfway and for some unknown reason her eyes were fixed on his form; they didn't waver a bit to acknowledge the other party who silently observed the duo like he would do to two football stars making a standoff.

They could feel it.

The charged atmosphere, and like magnets they were drawn to each other, nothing else existed, only the two of them.

Perhaps it was the look in his eyes that pulled her into it's depth; it swirled with untamed emotions she couldn't for the life of her decipher. But, it gave her chills, a delicious chill that coursed her entire being. It felt foreign to her and that perturbed her so like a snail, she recoiled a bit into her imaginary shell that had suddenly appeared. It didn't go unnoticed by Effiong and suddenly he felt unsure of himself. Still, it didn't stop his fingers from twitching and seeking hers only to stop cold when she recoiled further as if to escape his touch. He couldn't stop the pained look that crossed his face and reluctantly his hand fell back to his side to form a fist.

So close yet so far...
It was maddening. Yet, he forced a smile.

Uyai bit her lip guiltily. At this point she was at lost for words. She saw when he reached for her but in her confused state she had shrunk back and didn't miss the hurt look that overcame his facial features.

"Are you done?" He asked referring to her work in the studio.

Uyai nodded wordlessly, making it more awkward.

A loud cough resounded and on impulse she looked over Effiong's shoulder and spotted a bemused Peter. His brows were raised over his head line as he observed the duo.

Peter resisted rolling his eyes heavenward instead muttered a noncommittal word that wasn't intended to be pleasant.

These two were ridiculous, especially Effiong, Peter grimaced.

Effiong was as timid as a--hell he was timid and Peter could not imagine himself in his shoes. He was more of a straight on guy and was known not to mince his words and very apt at portraying his feelings in sweetening words and dramatic actions that was sure to get any girl. Surely he was a romantic at heart and definitely knew how to appease the female race unlike his friend here who was terrible at it, it was embarrassing to see.

"I have to go." He announced, unable to bear the scene any longer. It was better they talked without an audience like him that that was at any time ready to make himself comfortable on a sofa with popcorn in hand while he amused himself with free live drama without a television as a hindrance.

"Oh! Okay." Uyai said as she watched him with wary eyes.

Peter smirked and gave her a wink.

Effiong scowled but didn't say a word...

"Later kids." He waved in farewell before tucking his hands into his trousers only to brush pass them but not before he had purposefully bumped his shoulder with Effiong's to shoot him a look of pity knowing that was going to annoy him.

They both turned to watch him walk away until he left their field of vision. Then, simultaneously, they turned back to each other and after locking eyes for a handful of seconds without talking, Effiong broke the silence.

"We need to talk." He said looking intently at her.

Uyai slumped her shoulders in defeat and nodded with a "Indeed we do."

"Can we go somewhere quiet for a bit?" He asked cautiously as he searched her face.

"Sure. Do you have a place in mind?" Uyai angled her head to look at him while she rubbed both her arms. The dress she wore was a little revealing; exposing the span of her neck down to her neckline which showed a little cleavage, plus the studio was quite cold due to the ACs stationed in almost every corner of the studio.