Uyai (nine)

Of course the stone didn't disappoint. It struck her right on the forehead. The sound Uyai expected from the victim was a shrill cry. One that would make deaf any living being in close quarters. Her sister always tend to exaggerate her feelings especially if she deemed it bad. So, imagine her surprise when she heard a small whimper instead. Uyai knew it must have hurt, it must have hurt a lot. It struck her right on the exact spot she suspected led Goliath to his death. Thus her reaction was definitely unexpected. Uyai could tell by her strained muscle, knowing the extra mile she took in initiating that swinging motion. At least from her knowledge of physics, she knew the distance, the velocity and the acceleration of the projectile carried enough force to bring her target down. Definitely she had cause to be worried. Maybe the pain was too severe that her brain was still processing the information or taking to too much time to send the signals back to her skeletal muscles to elicit a reflex response; the screaming response.

She looked closer at the victim of her David-Goliath activity, making sure to examine the little reactions she emitted. It was that moment she saw her sister smile-crying if that was even remotely possible. It was worse than a grimace, it made her look like a clown. Was this really the signal the brain had sent? Uyai shook her head in disbelief as Affiong fluttered her eyelashes demurely, while her lips trembled even as she quirked it aiming for a smile. However she couldn't pull it off since it made her look like a constipated clown. Uyai briefly wondered what Edem's reaction was; she didn't have to worry for long when she heard his voice; worried and frightened. The young man was probably freaked out.

"A-Are you okay?" Edem queried, a bit hesitant. He held her lightly on her shoulder as she fixed her gaze on him, a smile, or a grimace formed on her lips, he was not sure. What he was sure of was, she was not okay. Even as she nodded in affirmative, her whole demeanor said otherwise.

Uyai wondered if her sister was trying but failing miserably to look pretty. Did she think Edem would think otherwise if she cried? It was only a natural response to pain, so why was she fighting against nature?

"Are you certain?" he asked again. He wanted to add ' I heard the sound of the stone colliding against your temple, so I beg of you, respond accordingly

Affiong fluttered her eyelashes again still with that same smile he swore freaked the hell out of him. "I-I am o-okay." she said, her voice giving her away. It cracked with emotion. Oh, she tried to conceal it by clearing her throat and gifting him with that strange smile again.

He knew better.

So he grimaced. "Okay...I-I should be on my way. My farm has been neglected enough. I'll bid my farewell to you here, until we see again Imà (love)." he said slowly taking off his hands from her shoulder. He couldn't wait to leave, it was beginning feel awkward, with her unwavering gaze on him still wearing that same smile and his own uncertain smile. He watched as the expression wore off and in its place was now a frown.

"Okay." she grumbled. Effiong smile relieved. Now that was a real expression; not one that would leave him guessing.

"Edem, what really are your plans? Do you intend to marry me? Or is this only temporary." she motion between them.  Sue her for being so forthright, it wasn't her forte to mince words.

'Wow!' Uyai thought. Sister was for once in her life wise. 'Good question sister. Ask away.'

Edem blinked taken aback by the question. He recovered after a few seconds and answered immediately. He didn't want to fall his hands so he was extra careful on how he'll rearrange his speech. "Imà mè (my love), how can you think otherwise? I have no plans for this being a brief tryst..."