Uyai (seventeen)

Her lips stretched from ear to ear, her eyes glittered with happiness and her whole being trembled with wonderful emotions that coursed through her. Uyai laid on the soft, plush bed with the blanket strewn over her chest down while she embraced the warm feeling it gave. When she breathed, it was the scent of air freshener which littered the whole room mixed with the scent of pine emitting from the artfully carved wooden chair facing the rectangular mirror that caressed her senses.

"Uyai." Affiong called softly. Like her she laid supine on the twin sized bed with her hands protectively on her stomach, while she laid atop the covers.

"Hmm?" Uyai shifted and turned to Affiong, the blue greenish light radiating from the fancy bulbs casted beautifully on her form, highlighting her fair complexion.

"What do you think of Mr and Mrs Ekpenyong?" She asked. Weirdly, Affiong had never initiated a conversation with her except it is to order her about.

"They're nice." Uyai muttered

"That's hardly a fitting description . I'd rather say they're too good to be true." Affiong frowned.

Uyai's mind flashed to the couple who had welcomed them with opened arms. Their kindness was a bit questionable. "You're right." Uyai said after a while.

"Don't you find it strange that they'll be willing to accommodate strangers especially in this age and time? The fact that we're from the village doesn't arouse any suspicion from them. We could be witches for goodness sake." Affiong's worried voice melted the smile that molded Uyai's lips.

"I understand perfectly what you mean, but I don't think they see us as strangers. Besides grandmother wouldn't dare send us to live with people she doesn't trust."

"I know that but haven't you heard? City people hardly accommodate we village people, we're presumed to be witches and wizards." Affiong turned sideways facing Uyai, her hands left her stomach and propped on her chin.

"I guess so. I think they're different."

"I can tell, you seem happy."

"I should be. I'm in the city, that means new beginnings, new life." Uyai asserted.

"Well you shouldn't be too happy, I'll advise you be wary. This is not home." She cautioned,

"Just because you're unhappy doesn't mean I should be. I would take advantage of the fact that am in the city and have a good life." Uyai was not moved by her sister's words. She couldn't despise the opportunity of being in the city and deny herself of happiness she didn't feel at home. This was a new beginning for her and she would embrace the chance.

"What do you mean by that? You're beginning to be arrogant." Affiong shot her a glare.

"I am not. I just want a good life." she returned her glare.

"I hear. Not everyone can have a good life." she snorted.

"I can and I will." Uyai growled "Sister don't you think you should tone it down a bit? I won't let you oppress me. Like you said, this is not home."

"Oppress you?" she snickered " Wait for the real oppression when they start using us as house girls."

"Well what do you expect? Nothing in this world is free. We have to reciprocate their kindness by helping in house chores."

"More like we'll become slaves. Don't you get it? We're village girls." Affiong argued and turned back on her back.

"Yes. But well learned." Uyai interjected strongly

"Just secondary school and you're already boasting." Affiong scoffed rolling her eyes.

"Look at the bright side of things sister, we're better than most people. We're well versed in English which is an important requirement in the city. We can as well make friends." Uyai assured her as well as herself. Unlike the village, she could make friends here. She could finally experience what it meant like to have a friend.