chapter one

This book is dedicated to yt_bway_galore  for being a inspiration and all out amazing person.

Hobble woke up as she felt someone stir beside her. She peeled open her grey eyes. "Crutchie?" She asked in a raspy voice. He struggled to get up but managed to do it somehow. "Where ya going? What are ya...the bell ain't rung yet. Go back to sleep." She heard Jack's tired voice call from the other side of the roof 'penthouse'. "I want to beat the fellas down to the street." He said, grabbing his crutch. "I uh don't think the guys should see but uh...I ain't been walking so good." The boy replied. "Yous ain't the only one." Hobble said looking at her ankle, which pointed to the side in a unnatural angle. "Quit ya gripping, both of ya. You know how many fellas fake a limp for sympathy? 'hose bum legs of yours is a gold mine." Hobble rolled her eyes. "If anyone think that we can't make it on our own we'd be locked in the refugee for good." She told the boy. Crutchie sat down by the opening that led to the latter. "Now be a pal and help me down." Crutchie lowered himself down slipping. He clung on to the side bar. "Crutchie?!?" Hobble screeched, 'running' over. Her running was more of a limping speed walk. Jack ran over, grabbing one of Crutchie's arms while Hobble got the other. "Whatcha trying to do bust your other leg?" Jack asked him, frustrated. "No I'm trying to go down." He said with the most innocent face. "You'll be down soon enough." Hobble said in a soft caring tone. "Take a moment, drink in my penthouse. High above the stinkin' streets of New York." Jack said. Hobble laughed at the boy with Crutchie who said. "Your crazy." She nods in agreement. "Why cause I like a breath of fresh air? Cause I like seeing the sky and stars." Jack said as he walked over to the other side. "Your seeing stars alright." Crutchie and Hobble said at the same time. Jack leaned against the railing, looking down at the street. "Them streets down there, they sucked the life right out my old man. Years a' rotten job, gettin' stomped on by bosses and when they finally broke him, they just tossed him to the curb. Like yesterday's paper." Jack said before pushing himself up. "Well they ain't doin' that to me!" He yelled over the side. "But everyone wants to come to New York." Hobble said only loud enough for them to hear. "New York is fine for those who have a big strong door to lock it out. I'll tell you personally. There's a whole other way out there. So you can keep your small lives in a big city. Give me a big life in a small town." Hobble looked over at Crutchie. He shrugged his shoulders.

" They say folks are dyin' to get here
Me, I'm dyin' to get away
To a little town out west
That's spankin' new."

Jack sung, laughing a bit at the last part. He looked over at Hobble and Crutchie, smiling, his smile disappered as he turned back to the view of New York.

" And while I ain't never been there
I can see it clear as day
If you want, I bet'cha could see it to."

Jack walked over to the two. He wrapped his arms around them.

" Close your eyes
Come with me
Where it's clean, and green, and pretty
And they went and made a city otta clay."

He had them close their eyes, waving a hand in front of their eyes. Hobble was smiling faintly.

" Why, the minute that you get there
Folks walk right up to ya and say
Welcome home son
Welcome home to Santa Fe."

Jack let go of them as they opened their eyes. He moved away from them.

" Plantin' crops
Splittin' rails
Swappin' tails around the fire
Cept for Sunday where you lie around all day."

Jack looked over as Hobble walked closer.

" Soon your friends are more like family
And theys beggin' you to stay."

She sang, smiling widely. Together they sang the next part.

" Ain't that neat?
Livin' sweet
In Santa Fe."

"You got folks there, Jack?" Crutchie asked looking at the taller boy. He scoffed. "I ain't got no folk nowhere. You?" He looked over at me and Crutchie. "We don't need folks cause we got friends. Ain't that right Crutchie?" Hobble asked, looking to the sweet Crip. He nods with a huge smile. "Hey! Why don't yous come with me?" Jack turned to Hobble and Crutchie. "No one cares about no gimp leg in Santa Fe. You just hop a Palomino. You'll ridin' in style." He said, trotting as if he was riding a horse. "Yeah. Picture us ridin' in style." Crutchie said nudging Hobble. "Hey I bet a few months of clean air and you, you could toss that crutch for good!" Jack said excitedly.

" Santa Fe
You can bet
We won't let those b*** beat us
We won't beg anyone to treat us fair and square!" (I young child I don't curse)

The three sang together. Hobble looked out at the horizon.

" There's a life that's worth the living
And I'm gonna do my share."

Hobble sang a dreamy look on her face.

" Work the land."

Jack sung looking at the two beside him. Hobble was smiling leaning against the railing.

" Chase the sun!"

Crutchie sang out, he too was smiling a huge smile. The three looked between each other.

" Swim the whole Rio Grande just for fun."

Jack made swimming motions with his arms, making the girl laugh.

" Watch me stand!
Watch us run!"

Crutchie sang and Hobble joined in at the run part. Their smiles slowly faded, sadness over coming their faces. Crutchie turned away from them. "Hey, hey." Jack said walking over, he put his arms around the two.

" Don't ya know that we's a family?
And would I let you down huh?
No way."

Jack sang, leaning against the two. They stood together, looking at one another.

" Just hold on kids,
Till the train makes Santa Fe."

Hobble hugged the two boys tight. She sniffled slightly. Jack and Crutchie hugged her back. The morning bell chimed out through the air. "Hey! Specs, Race, Henry, Elmer, Albert get s move on! Them papes don't sell them selves!" Jack shouted down from the 'penthouse' as he pulled on a shirt. Hobble grabbed the edge of the fire escape, lowering herself down, letting the boys get ready.

She got pulled her newsie's cap over her brown hair, her grey eyes darting around. She heard footsteps that signaled that the boys were getting up. She smiled to herself. She may not have much but she would be fine as long as she has these guys.

So that's the first chapter!
Hope you liked it :) I'm not sure who she should end up with. Jack, Crutchie, Davey, Race, Elmer or Albert? (even though Elmer and Albert aren't there as much they deserve more love)