chapter ten

"Drink up,boys. And don't say ever say I gave you nothin'. And before you say waters nothin', ask a fish. In the desert." Jacobi said, handing waters to the boys. Hobble walked in, hopping on to the table between Albert and the chair Race sat in. She looked at Albert, stealing his cup and taking a sip of his water. "Hey!" The boy shouted. She looked at him with soft eyes, before placing the glass of cold liquid back into his hand. She lightly traced the bruis on Albert's cheek. She looked at all the boys, brusies littering their bodies, poor Les hand his arm in a sling. Finch sat up from laying on the table. "Why do old people talk?" He asked. Race took his cigar out of his mouth. "To prove they's still alive." He said earning a swat on the back of the head from Hobble. "No matter how hard I try there's not teaching you manners Racetrack." She said using his full Newsie name. "Good morning boys." Katherine said walking in before Race could say something back. The boys groaned. "Well don't be so glum. Haven't any of y'all seen this mornings paper?" She asked. Hobble chuckled slightly. "That's what we're striking from ya know." The girl muttered to where only Race and Albert heard. The two boys chuckled softly. "Now, can these really be the same boys who made the front page of the New York Sun?" She asked. The boys perked up, running over. Hobble lowered herself from the table, limping over as quickly as she could.

"Let me see!" Race said excitedly as he took the paper out of Katherine's hands. "Would you look at that! That's me!" He said happily. "And your not dead." Hobble joked. The blond boy lightly pushed the girl. "Where's me? Where's me?" Romeo practically yelling. Hobble rolled her grey eyes. "Just wait until my old man gets a loaf of this. I wouldn't be last in line for the tub tonight!" Elmer said happily as he took the paper from Romeo. "Ah, you'll still smell." Romeo said. "You got us in the papes?" Davey asked astonished, eyes gleaming with hope. "No." Katherine said, shaking her head, red curls bouncing. "You got yourselves in the papes." She smiled at the boys and girl. "Newsies stop the world. Now that's a headline even Elmer could sell." Race said. Hobble rolled her eyes again. Katherine explained to them about the blackout on strike news. "I heard they arrested Crutchie last night, did they get Jack too?" Katherine asked. Hobble's heart ached at the mention of last night's events. She shook her head but everyone's attention was on Finch who spoke up. "The Delaney's are are spreading the story that he took it on the land at the first sight of the cops." He said. Les Les walked up to him. "Jack don't run from no fight!" The young boy shouted. "Hey, get down, short stuff. I'm just reporting the news." Finch said, pushing the boy back some. "When your famous the world is ya erster." Race said taking the cigar out of his mouth. "What?!?" Everyone asked, looking at the boy. "Ya erster." He tried again. "What's he sayin'?" Tommy boy asked Hobble who just shrugged. "Ya know yer fancy clam with the poarl inside." Race said. "You mean a oyster!" Everyone shouted at him. He waved them off. Hobble turned back to Katherine and Davey.

"I'm famous." She heard Race say the last bit of his speech, his arms around Albert. Albert with the most disgusted face.

(Sorry Albert you look so derpy in that 😂)

"How much does bein' famous pay?" Mush asked. "When you're famous you don't need money. They give you whatever you want granits." Race shouted. He took the paper from Tommy boy. "Such as....?" Hobble asked leaning on the table he stood on.