chapter eleven

Hobble sat in the penthouse, lonely. Crutchie was in the refugee and Jack was know knows where. She sighed, hugging her knees to her chest. "Hey Hobble." She heard a sot voice. She looked up, great eyes resting on the Newsie that came up, Specs. She smiled. "Hey Specs." She said her voice low. He sat down beside her. "I got a letter. I was trying to find Jack but since your here." He said, holding the folded paper out to her. She took it gently, unfolding it. "Dear Jack and Hobble. Greetings from the refugee." She read the paper, smiling as tears pooled in her eyes.

"How are you?
I'm okay
I guess I wasn't much help yesterday."

She she whipped her eyes as she continued to read the letter from her best friend.

"Sydney soaked me real good with my crutch
Oh yeah, this is Crutchie by the way."

Tears flowed down her cheeks as she gave a small, strangled laugh. Only Crutchie could get her to smile at such a depressing time.

"These here gaurds
They is rude
They say jump, boy you jump or your screwed
But so far the food ain't bad
Cause far they ain't brong us no food."

She read, heart sinking. "Haha." She read out loud. Specs watched the girl, pity filling his heart. 

"I miss the rooftop
Sleepin' right out in the open
In that penthouse in the sky
There's a cool breeze blowin'
Even in July."

She looked over to where Crutchie would sleep, his blanket laid out perfectly. She got him one with her pay on time.

"Anyway
So guess what?
There's a secret escape plan I got
Tie a sheet to the bed
Toss the end out the window
Climb out
Then take off like a shot

Maybe though
Not tonight
I ain't slept, and my leg still ain't right."

Her heart shattered at that part. Hobble bit her lip as she read on.

"Hey
But Pulitzer
He's going down
Then Hobble, Jack  
I was thinkin'
We might just go
Like you was sayin'
Where it's clean, and green and pretty
With no buildings in your way
Where your ridin' Palominos everyday."

'oh Crutchie, always the optimist' She thought to herself. She gave a half smile

"When the rain makes
D*** this place
I'll be fine
Good as new
But there's one thing I need you to do."

She saw tears spots on the I'll be fine good as new part, soon to realize they were both her's and his.

"On the rooftop
You said a family looks out for each other."

"I'm sorry I didn't look out for you Crutchie." The girl said, whipping her eyes again.

"So tell all the fellas for me
To protect one another
The end
Your friend
Your best friend
Your brother
Crutchie."

She read the end, pulling her knees to her chest, her arms wrapped around them as she started to sob. "Crutchie." She whispered, calling out the boy's name. Specs moved closer pulling the girl to his chest. She sniffled before looking up at the boy. "Promise me you'll get this letter to Jack." She said her voice quiet and soft. He nods. "I promise. Anything for my sister." Specs said, holding her close to him. She held onto him, tightly clinging to him. She fell asleep in his arms that night, tired from crying.

This chapter is a bit short but oh well