Chapter thirteen

"Mr. Jack Kelly and Hobble." Mr. Pulitzer's assistant announced. The two strolled in. "Hey, good morning, boys." Jack said, looking around. "And which Jack Kelly is this? The charismatic union organizer or the petty theif and escaped convenient?" Hobble laughed some as Jack replied. "Which one gives us more in common?" He asked sumgly. Hobble giggled more. "Impudence is in bad taste when crawling for mercy." Pulitzer said. "Crawlin', now that's a laugh." Hobble huffed sarcastically. "No, we just stopped by with a invite." Jack said, lacing his arm around Hobble's waist. "It seems a few hundred of your employees are rallying to discuss some recent disagreements. Now, we thought it was only fair to invite you to state you case directly to the fellas. So what do you say Joe, huh? Want us to save you a spot on the bill?" Jack asked him. "You are as shameless and disrespectful a creature as I was told. Do you know what I was doing at your age, boy?" Pulitzer said. Jack shook his head. "I was fighting in the war." Hobble stepped forward. "And how'd that work out for ya?" She questioned. "Well it taught me a lesson and shaped my life. You don't win a war on the battlefield, it's the headline that crowns the victor." He said.

"Well we'll keep that in mind when New York wakes up to front page photos of our rally." Hobble said, arms crossed. "Oh, rally till the cows come home. No paper in town will publish a word, and if it's not in the paper, it never happened." Pulitzer said with a smug smile.  "You may run the town, Joe, but some of us can't be bullied even some reporters." Jack said to Pulitzer, who walked behind his desk. "Such as that young lady who made you yesterday's news. Talented girl, quite beautiful too. Don't you think?" He asked. "Yeah I'll tell her you said so." Jack huffed, he started to walk out, guiding Hobble with him. "No need, she can hear for herself, can't you darling?" Pulitzer said, he turned to look at Katherine who stood up from one of the chairs. "I trust you know my daughter, Katherine.....yes that's right my daughter." Pulitzer said. Jack looked at her so many emotions in his eyes. Sadness, betrayal, hurt. Hobble glared at the girl. "No your probably asking yourself. Why the nom de plume and why doesn't she work for me? Good question, I offered Kathrine a life of wealth and leisure, but instead she chose pursue a career; and she showed real promise till this recent lapse. But your done with all that, aren't you sweetheart?" Pulitzer asked. "Jack... I." Katherine started. Jack put his hand out stopping her. He turned away, tears in his eyes. "Now don't fill these too with you problems. Mr. Kelly and Mrs. Hobble have enough on thier plates, don't you think Mr. Syder?" Pulitzer said.

"Hello, Jack." He turned to see the Delaney brothers. "Why hello Hobble." The boys said. Hobble looked at them. Moriss grabbed Jack, holding him in place as Oscar grabbed Hobble. She struggled in the boy's grip. "Now does anyone else feel a noose tightening?" Pulitzer asked. Hobble whimpered. Moriss shoved Jack towards Pulitzer and Snyder. "Now let me offer you both a alternative seneario." Pulitzer said. "Attend the rally and speck against this hopeless strike, and I'll see your criminal record expunged and fill your pockets with enough cash to carry you both to a first class train departing from New York to New Mexico and beyond." He turned to Kathrine. "You said he wanted to travel west, didn't you?"

"There ain't a person in this room who don't know you stink." Jack growled. "And if they know me, they know I don't care. Mark my word, defy me and I'll have you and each and every one of your friends locked up in the refugee." Pulitzer threatened. Hobble whimpered in fear. Oscar looked at the girl he held. Jack stepped closer to him. "I know your Mr. Tough guy but it's not right to condemn that poor crippled boy to conditions like that and what about this poor Crip?" He nods to Hobble. "She wouldn't last a day. And what about your pal Davey and his baby brother. Ripped from their loving family and tossed to the rats. Will they ever be able to thank you enough?" Hobble felt tears fall from her eyes.

"Time's running out, kids
So what do you say?
Cowboy or convict
I win either way
You're abject surrender
Was always the bottom line."

Pulitzer sang. He looked at the Delancy brothers. "Gentlemen, would you escort our guests to the celler so they may reflect in solitude." He said. The boys pulled the girl and boy towards the celler.

"Too bad you no jobs, kids
But you did resign
Too you've no family
But you can't have mine!
Be glad your alive, kids
I'd say that the bottom line."

Pulitzer sang.

"Like the pied Piper
You knew what to play."

Sietz sang. He opened the celler door. Morris and Oscar led the two down.

"Til those kids
Believed you were right."

Pulitzer sang.

"Lucky for them all but one got away."

The mayor sang out.

"They may not be so lucky tonight."

Pulitzer sang. "We have been given discretion to handle you as we see fit. So behave." Morris said, shoving Jack into the room. The four kids where left in the celler. "Yeah, but just in case, I've been polishing my favorite pair of brass knuckles." Oscar threatened. "You can sleep right here." Morris said, pulling a sheet off. "On this old printin' press." He hit it three times. "Now that's firm." He said smugly. The two boys laughed.

Morris walked up the stairs while Oscar stayed back. He grabbed Hobble's arm, dragging her up the stairs. "Hey! Leave her alone!" Jack yelled, chasing. Oscar pushed him back.

He pulled her out the celler to the front door. He opened the door pushing her out. "Go." Oscar told her. She looked at him confused. "Hobble please go." He begged. Hobble hugged him, shocking him and herself. "Thank you." She whispered, kissing his cheek in thanks. She ran off leaving a blushing boy behind