chapter fourteen

Hobble 'ran' away, when she stopped, her jaw dropped at the sight she saw. It was Brooklyn.

"Newsies need our help today (Newsies need our help today)
Tell 'em Brooklyn's on the way (tell 'em Brooklyn's on the way)
We're from (Brooklyn)
We are (Newsies)
We are Brooklyn Newsies."

She heard them sing. Her brown eyes fell upon the leader, Spot Conlon, she felt nervous all of a sudden.

"Just got word that our buddies are hurtin'
Facin' totally disaster for certain
That our cue, boys
It's time to go slummin'
Hey Manhattan
The Calvary's comin'!"

Hobble started to move closer. She looked up to where they stood, one of the boys saw her.

"Never fear (you know we've got your back from way back)
Brooklyn's here (we'll get you pay back)
With some payback
We're the boys from the beaches of  Brighton
Prospect Park and Navy Yard peir
Strikes aren't fun, but they sure are excitin'
Loud and clear!
Brooklyn's here!"

She waved and most of the boys waved back. She was good friends with almost all the Brooklyn boys. Spot Conlon was in front of them and took of his cap.

"Borough gave me birth."

He sang. Hobble smiled, climbing up to stand with them. The boys to their caps off.

"Friendliest place on Earth."

Hobble sang, Soon bumped shoulders with her, they spite shook.

"Pay us a visit
And see what we mean
And if you do
We'll kick you half way to Queens."

The newsboys sang, Hobble watching them.

Hobble walked with them to the Bowery theater. The Newsies of New York surrounding the inside of the building.

" Now them soakers are in for a soakin'
What a sad way to end a career
They's a joke, but if they think that we're jokin'
Loud and clear."

All the Newsies sang together, a sound that warmed Hobble's heart. Davey, Les, Race and Specs walked out holding a Manhattan sign, Hobble walked over.

"Manhattan's here!"

The sang/ shouted. Three Newsies stood on the riser above them

"Flushin's here!"

They sang holding up their sign. Hobble looked up at them before turning to Richmond.

"Richmond's here!"

They lifted the sign.

"Woodside's here!"

They sang/shouted.

"So's the Bronx!"

The Bronx Newsies sang. Everyone looks at them blowing raspberries. Hobble giggled at the childish behavior. Spot walked in to the middle of the Newsies.

"Brooklyn's here!
Loud and clear
We is here."

Spot and Davey spit shook. "Welcome Newsies of New York! Welcome to my theater and your resolution!" Medda said. Hobble smiled, bowing in thanks to the woman. "And let's hear it for Spot Conlon and Brooklyn!" Davey shouted. The Newsies cheered as Spot walked forward. "Newsies United!" He yelled, causing everyone to cheer more. He silenced them. "Let's see what Pulitzer's going to say to you now."

"Hey Davey. Where's Jack?" Finch asked. "Sorry, kid, no sign of them yet. Looks like you two doing this solo." Medda said looking at Davey and Hobble. "Newsies of New York!" Hobble shouted, her and Davey walked to the center. "Look at what we've done! We got Newsies from every Pape and every neighborhood here tonight! Tonight, you're makin' history." The girl shouted, a smile on her face. "We're done being treated like kids. From now on, they'll treat us like equals!" Davey shouted, standing beside the girl. The Newsies cheered. Jack walked out from backstage. "If you want them to talk to you like a adult, start actin' like one. Don't just run your mouth, make some sense." He said, Hobble smiled brightly seeing him. All the Newsies started to chant 'Jack'. "Alright, alright, alright!" Jack said, finally getting the boys quite.

Jack pointed to his painting. "Pulitzer. Raised the prices of papes without so much as a word to us, and that was a pretty lousy thing to do. Cause we got mad, and no, we will not be pushed around. So we go on strike. And then what happens? Pulitzer lowers the prices so's we'll go back to work." Jack said. The Newsies started to cheer. He silenced them. "And then..... a few weeks later....he hikes his prices again, and don't think he won't, so what do we do then? And what do we do when he hikes the prices again? Boys we gotta be realistic. If we don't work, we don't get paid." He said. Davey and Hobble walked up to him. Jack turned to face them.  "How many days can you go without money, huh? Believe me. However long, Pulitzer can go longer." He looked at the other Newsies. "But I've talked with Pulitzer and he gave his word. If we disband this union he won't raise the price for another two years." Jack said. The boys start to yell over him. "Hey! I say we take the deal!" He said.

Spot shoved Jack harshly. "He's a sellout!" Mush yelled. Snyder came handing Jack a stack of cash. "Your a traitor, Jack Kelly!" Spot yelled. Les walked up to him, Jack turned around acting like he was going to hit him. The Newsies ran out, Davey and Hobble standing in the middle, staring at Jack. Hobble started to tear up. She took off, leaving the boys behind.

She made it up to the penthouse, seeing Kathrine, she ignored the girl. Hobble limped go Crutchie's spot, grabbing the blanket, wrapping it around herself. She heard someone walking up, she moved to where she couldn't be seen. "That was some speech you made." Katherine said, Hobble saw Jack. "How'd you get here?" He asked, anger clear in his voice. "Specs showed me." The red head looked at him. "What? He say you could go through my stuff?" Jack asked, snatching a paper from her hands. Jack rolled them up, putting them into a tube. Hobble watched in silence, hugging the blanket to her. "I saw them rolled up in there, I didn't know what they were." Katherine defended herself. "There's are drawings from the refugee huh? Is that really what it's like there? Three boys to a bed, rats everywhere and vermin?" Katherine asked. Hobble felt tears in her eyes. "Oh, a little different from where you were raised?" He took the drawing from her.

"Snyder told my father you were caught stealing food and clothes. You stole for those boys. You stole to feed them." Katherine said softly. "I don't understand! How could you be willing to go to jail for these boys, then turn your back on them?" Katherine basically shouted. "Oh, you are not one to be talkin' bout tirnin' on folks." Jack said angrily. He got really close to her. "I never turned on you or anyone else." She said. Hobble rolled her eyes. "No, you just double-crossed us to your father, your father." Jack said, pushing past her walking near where Hobble was. "My father has eyes on every corner of this city! He doesn't need me spying on you and I never lied.....I just didn't tell you everything." She followed him.

"Oh, if you weren't a girl, you'd be tryin' to talk with a fist in your mouth." He said, turning away from her and leaning on the railing. "I told you I worked for the Sun and I did. I told you my professional name is Plumber and it is. You never asked my real one." Katherine told him. "I wouldn't think I'd have to, unless I knew I was dealin' with a backstabber!" Jack exclaimed. He turned to her. "And if I was a boy, you'd be looking at me through one swollen eye!" She placed her fist under his chin, pushing him against the railing.  "Well don't let that stop ya, go and give it you best shot, huh?" He held her fist in place, moving her closer. Katherine froze, she moved both hands to his cheeks and kissed him. Hobble felt her heart start to crack.