chapter seventeen

"Newsies of New York!" Jack yelled. Jack, Hobble, Davey, Pulitzer and Roosevelt stood on the balcony. The Newsies on the street below turned to them. "We won!" Hobble yelled after Jack nodded to her.  Everyone cheered, well except Pulitzer and Morris Dalancey. Shockingly Oscar clapped, looking up at the girl. "And now I'd like to introduce, my personal pal, the Governor Theodore Roosevelt, himself!" Jack said. Roosevelt walked forward, waving. "Each generation must, at it's height of it's power, step aside and invite the young to share the day. You have laid way to our world. Now, I believe the future, in your hands, will be bright and prosperous!" Roosevelt shouted to the Newsies.

He turned to Jack. "And your drawings, son, have brought another matter to end. Offices, will you please!" The Newsies made way and Race shouted. "It's Cruthie! Jack, Hobble it's Crutchie!" Hobble gasped. "Crutchie!" She took off down the stairs, throwing herself into Crutchie's arms. "Don't you ever leave me again." She whispered into his ear. She let go of him , moving back. "How ya doin' fellas? Ya miss me?" He said. The Newsies noded some saying yeah. "Oh look, look what I got yas! A gift, straight from the refuge. Hey, bring him in boys!" Crutchie yelled. Two officers came, dragging Snyder. "It's Snyder the spider!" Race shouted. Hobble smirked. "Ain't so touch anymore, is he!?!" She yelled.

"Jack, with those drawings, you made an eloquent argument for shutting down the refugee. Be sure that Mr. Snyder's abuses will be fully investigated." Roosevelt told him. "Officers take him away!" Roosevelt said. The bulls started to take Snyder when Crutchie stepped up, taking his hat off. "Your Highness, may I do the honors?" He asked. Roosevelt smiled and nodded. Crutchie put the handcuffs on Snyder. "So long, sucker!" Crutchie yelled, hitting Snyder with his crutch. Hobble laughed, hugging the boy again.

"Hey, if one of your drawing convinced to Govenor to shut down the refugee, what about a daily political cartoon to expose the dealings behind our very own government back rooms? What do you say, Teddy? Care to let this young man shine a light behind your closed doors?" Pulitzer asked. "Hey, hey gov don't sweat it, with the strike over. I should be hittin' the road." Jack said, holding his hand up. He turned to walk to the train yard. "Don't you ever get tired of singing the same old tune? What's Santa Fe got that New York ain't? Tarantulas?" Davey asked walking up to Jack. "Or better yet; what's New York got that Santa Fe ain't?" Kathrine asked, walking up beside Davey. "New York's got us." Hobble said, looking at Jack with sad eyes. "And we're family." Crutchie added on. 

"Didn't I hear about a strike being settled? Papes for the Newsies! Line up boys." Hobble sent him a glare. "And Hobble. These papes won't feel themselves!" Wiesel yelled. "Come along, governor. And show me that backseat I've heard so much about." Medda said, linking arms with the governor. He laughed as he walked with Medda. "We'll don't just stand there, you got a union to run. And didn't someone just offer you a exciting job?" Katherine said. "You mean me work for your father?" Jack said. "You already work for her father." Hobble pointed out. "Oh...yeah." He replied. "And you've got one more ace up your sleeve." Katherine said. "That is?" He asked. Katherine smiled. "Us." She gestured between herself and Hobble. "Wherever you go, I'll be there, right by your side." Hobble told him. "For sure?" Jack asked the smaller girl. She nodded. "For sure."

"Don't take much to be a dreamer
All you do is close your eyes
But some made up world is all you see
Now my eyes is finally open
And my dreams, they's average-sized
But they don't matter much
If you ain't with me."

Jack sang, it was hard to tell which girl he was singing to. "So, Jack. You in or you out?" Davey asked. The Newsies started to shout at him. He walked up, slamming down a quarter. The boys cheered. "Good job." Oscar told her as he passed by.

Hobble knew as she watched all the boys. She choose who she truly loved. She walked up to......