Read My Lips: Chapter 15

Chapter 15

I was shocked that I hadn’t been knocked fully out. Lying on the ground, I could feel the blood trickling down my face from my nose and lip. There was a good chance that I had cuts on my face as well.

My opponent gave me one last good kick in the side automatically making me flinch and curl up. It felt like I couldn’t breathe. My breath had literally been kicked out of me.

“Hey, thanks buddy.” Max grinned shaking his hand and patting him on the back. The opponent just nodded before walking over to the people who were supporting him. Actually supporting him and not selling him off to feed any addiction they had.

Rolling on my stomach, I tried to push myself up but my arms caved underneath me making me fall to my stomach again. I let out a groan as I rolled back onto my back trying to re-catch my breath. This was by far the worst fight I had ever gotten into.

But then again, my opponents hadn’t been paid to ensure that I’d be beaten up to the point where I physically couldn’t pull myself off the ground.  

“Here, let me help you up,” Max chuckled pulling me from the floor. As an automatic reaction, I flinched and let out a groan as he gripped my arm leaving me no chance but to be pulled up. “You’re weak, pal.”

“I’m not weak. He was far too much for me and you knew it.” I shot back. It had only been one fight and I was already one hundred and ten per cent done with this guy. But I knew I had no chance backing out now.

“You’re weak, that’s all there is to it. Now, let me give you a tip; get yourself to the gym, do some exercise, eat healthy and you’ll me capable to fight him in no time.” He chuckled, pulling a cigarette out of his pocket. He placed it in between his lips and lit it up before letting out a long, smoke filled breath.

I didn’t bother to answer his sarcastic reply; I shook my head instead and made an attempt to rush out of the alley way as fast as my pain filled body could manage. My ribs hurt when I breathed of all the blows I’d taken to the sides.

Instead of going to the hospital where I knew I should go, I made my way to Jake’s house instead. I couldn’t exactly go to the hospital where Maisie was and I couldn’t go home where my mum was. So one of my friends was the last resort and I knew that out of all the boys, Jake’s parents were the most laid back.

It pained me to walk to his house but I managed it. I’d tried my best to wipe the blood away from my face as I continued my walk to Jake’s house. I was pretty sure my lip was bust from the stinging I felt when I put my hand on it.

On top of having blood on my face, my knuckles were also bust from retaliating to my opponent’s blows. Sure I’d managed to get a few blows to him but that was absolutely nothing compared to what he had managed to give to me.

Jake’s house wasn’t far from my house meaning I luckily didn’t have to walk that far to arrive at his house. I knew I could rely on him to help me out when he saw me like this, even though I knew he was probably going to lecture me for getting into a fight in the first place.

I still hadn’t told anyone about my deal with Max but to be honest, it wasn’t anyone’s business so no one had to know about it. I was going to keep it to myself and nothing would change that.

Maisie’s p.o.v

I didn’t feel as dizzy as I did before, thankfully. When I’d woken up from my sleep, my mum was sat in the seat beside my bed waiting for me to return from my slumber.

My mum helped me sit up, she constantly fussing over me; pulling the blankets up to a specific height and making sure that my pillows were nice and ‘fluffed’ so they’d be comfortable to lie back on. I could tell already that she was going to make an even bigger fuss when I was allowed to leave the hospital.