Read My Lips: Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Finally getting out of hospital was a relief to say the least. I didn’t know how much longer I could handle sleeping in the awful beds and having to eat the awful food. It was definitely at the top of my hate list.

Zach had gone back to school since he’d already missed days by coming to visit me so I had to practically force him to go back. My mum had taken Austin home leaving me with my dad who was taking me home separately since someone had to stay to sign forms and all that stuff.

I stayed sitting on the bed whilst my dad thanked all the doctors and nurses after he’d signed the forms that needed to be signed. After everything was sorted, dad came back into the room where he picked up my bag of belongings and stood in front of me.

“You ready to leave?” He asked a soft smile sketched onto his face. He pulled his car keys out of his pocket and waited for me to stand up.

“Let go.” I grinned, happy to be getting away from this room. After politely thanking the nurses and doctors, I was finally sat in the passenger seat of the car ready to go home.

----

The weeks passed after my operation and it was finally time to go for my check-up. My hearing device was going to be turned on and the doctor had to check to see if it was working and if I could hear. It felt like all I’d being doing lately was hoping for the best and hoping that I’d be able to hear again.

On top of that, it was December meaning Christmas was just around the corner. Small snow showers had already began, not to mention the fact it was freezing outside. Despite the coldness, Christmas and winter were my favourite times of the year. There was just something about them that made me really happy. I always felt… festive.

So when it was time for me to go to the doctors, I’d made sure that I was all wrapped up. I had my jeans on, a sweatshirt and a jumper along with my big coat and a scarf. You could never be too warm. I also made sure to grab my gloves and hat before we left the house to go to the doctors. I was a sucker when it came to the cold. I swear I felt the cold more than the warmth.

My mum was waiting in the kitchen for me. Dad had taken Austin to his nursery before he had gone to work. Since my mum didn’t work, she was the one taking me to my check-up. To be honest, I was really nervous. I didn’t know if I was going to be able to hear again or not and that scared me. All I could do was hope for the best.

On the kitchen table, there was a plate of breakfast waffles ready to be eaten. Taking advantage of the fact there was just me and mum in the house; I took a few of them, placed them on my plate and coated them in golden syrup. It was one of my favourite breakfast meals.

After I placed the syrup down, I looked back up to see my mum looking at me strangely like I’d suddenly grown another head. For a moment, I was confused as to whether she was staring at the breakfast I had or the clothes that I was currently wearing. Then I spoke up.

“What?” I asked whilst shoving a fork full of food into my mouth.

My mum shook her head at me in amusement before replying to me. “You warm enough?”

I looked down once more at my outfit then looked back at my mum. “Sure…”

She just laughed whilst finishing off her own breakfast. The room was silent as we finished off our food. Neither one of us talked as we tucked into the delicious breakfast that mum had prepared.

My phone vibrated in my pocket making me drop my fork and stop eating. Pulling my phone from my pocket, I unlocked it to see it was a text from Zach. A smile spread across my face as I opened the message.