Read My Lips: Chapter 23

Chaper 23

I’d tossed and turned all night in bed thinking about those men who I’d unfortunately bumped into. The main issue on my mind was if they were going to come for me again. Fair enough they didn’t exactly know where I lived but what if they saw me again and followed me home.

What those men had said remained in my head. They knew Zach. But why would they want to tell Zach about me before they found out that I knew him? Was he working with them?

My mind was all over the place.

Walking into school the next and final morning of the term, I kept my eyes wide looking for Zach. It was the last day of school today before we broke up for the Christmas holidays. To say I was excited for Christmas would be a total understatement. It was my favourite time of the year by a mile. I loved it.

Rebekah was the first person who I saw. Unlike all of the other times we’d saw each other; she pulled me into a hug. I frowned as I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her back.

“Oh my God, Maisie, I’m so happy!” She gushed, jumping up and down as she spoke. Excitement was clearly written across her face.

“About Christmas?” I teased knowing that wasn’t the reason at all. This reason had Jake Thomas written all over it. He was behind her happiness.

“No!” She retorted playfully smacking me across the head. “Jake asked me out!” And she was jumping up and down again.

I grinned at her. “I’m so happy for you.”

Rebekah grinned back at me, happiness covering her face. She looked so content that it made me happy. “I can’t believe it, I knew we were taking it slow but this is the first time that he’s asked me out and I’m just so happy.”

She linked my arms and began dragging me through the hallways of the school and towards our lockers.

“When are you both going out then?” I questioned, stopping in front of my locker and opening it. I pulled out my folder that I’d left in there the day before since I had no homework. Now that it was the last day though, I needed all of my schoolwork out of there to prepare for exams that were slowly approaching.

She grinned at me again, her eyes lighting up at the question that I had just asked. “Oh my God, you’ll never believe it! He’s taking me out on Christmas eve, how romantic!” She gushed.

“That pretty cute.” I answered, locking my locker and turning back to face her seeing her doing the same thing.

“Isn’t it just,” She sighed dreamily looking down at the floor with a grin on her face. She was so happy with Jake it was adorable. “I’ll make sure to call you and tell you about what happened.”

“Sure.” I answered simply; I really didn’t want to hear about her happy relationship.

As she began to ramble on about her relationship, my mind began to wander. I needed to talk to Zach as soon as possible. At that moment, my mind was made up. After school today I was going to Zach’s house and I was going to talk to him. I had to do it… at least to put my mind at rest.

“I think I’m going to talk to Zach tonight.” I announced, cutting her ramble about Jake short.

“You what?” Rebekah demanded, stopping us both and standing in front of me. She put her hands on her hips and stared at me sternly.

“I said, I think I going to talk to Zach tonight.” I repeated.

She frowned, appearing to me confused about what I had said. “Why would you do that?”