Chapter 10 Friends

It was boring.

Hana dreaded the next day, but at the same time was excited about it. With the help of Fallon, they began making their schedules so everything will move swiftly by tomorrow's shoot.

She spent her entire free time having extra lessons with Professor Andrea to boot. Hana was almost ready for the big day, but not really. She had one more thing to do.

That's why Hana, with Fallon, and Liezel were looking through trinkets and tableware. Even shopping and trying to talk people into giving them stuff for free or find great deals on a budget that usually was meant for Hana's monthly allowance of everyday expenses.

"The theme is mostly reds and blacks so if anything matches that color scheme let's be sure to grab it. If you find a couple of white pieces don't hold back. It would also look good."

"A variety of sizes that gives us the idea that belongs to a Queen?" Fallon asked.

Hana nodded. "They'll all either be hung together on one wall that will serve as a backdrop or will be placed on a table. I'm looking for mismatched styles and sizes. We already have three but could use at least fifteen more."

They get to work, sifting through everything from useless red bottles to newly-bought but thrown-away handbags. Hana and Fallon started a pile and Liezel added some to it. Hana noticed that Liezel's finds were always mushrooms or related to mushrooms.

In three hours, they had gone through garage sales, estate sales, and thrift stores. But they found nothing that was even useful or even something they can afford; which resulted in the last option—dumpster diving.

Sure, it can be gross. But it was proven to be a practical and sometimes lucky find. Hana was also willing to comb through the trash to discover it.

Hana inhaled a lungful of foul odor and coughed. Next, to her, she heard Liezel snickering while looking for mushrooms instead of entirely helping.

"Liezel leave those mushrooms alone!"

"I need them as samples for my finals. I need to extract poison from them."

"POISON?"

Liezel grinned. "To make you hallucinate while sleeping."

"STOP FEEDING ME STUFF AT NIGHT!"

"Cut it out you two!" Fallon interjected.

After some more mushroom and toxic waste antics, Hana managed to find satisfactory props that would give life to the character Althea Lancaster will portray in her photography.

She called it a day and brought out her bag. Hana placed the stuff inside it, making a mental note to herself that she has to bleach it all tonight.

When she finished, the trio headed across the half-empty lot towards Fallon's car afterward.

Fallon brought out her keys, "Everything ready for tomorrow, Hana?"

"I guess," Hana quietly responded as she slung her backpack over her shoulder. She had everything ready to go, all the props she needed for her shoot.

Hana climbed into the car and set her backpack down between her legs. She tried to be patient, but that just wasn't going to happen. Even as Fallon pulled out of the school parking lot, Hana silently prayed for her to go faster. Maybe she can persuade Fallon to let her drive instead.