Chapter 21 Minimalism

Hana found herself back to the same halls of the Medicine department, running and kicking doors just to search for Althea. The thought of her being scolded by the Dean, Professor Faulkner, didn't deter her resolve. As long as she wouldn't get caught, she wouldn't get expelled.

All Hana knew was that she needed to talk to Althea. Althea was Hana's first thought in the morning, her last thought at night.

Hana was certain she had seen something in the British girl's eyes, something almost wishful filled with 'please' and 'what ifs', something that actually did wish for more than what she had. Or maybe Hana was just wishing on a star.

She was about to head towards the surgery room when she heard the voice she had been dying to hear since last night.

"Hana!" the blonde had given her that astonished look.

"Althea!" All at once, Hana had darted forward. She hadn't had any clear idea of what she was going to do. "There you are! I'm not going to let you ran away."

"What do you want from her you psycho?" Madeline barked.

"Girls, please." Althea took a lungful of air. "Could you leave us alone for a minute?"

"What?" Heather asked but she seemed more speechless than ready to rebut.

"Althea, are you sure?" Madeline queried.

"I was planning to tell you girls sooner but given the circumstances, I will now."

Madeline and Heather abruptly stopped, listening intently like puppies to their owner with no other desire than to please her.

"I enjoy Hana's company, so much that I agreed to model for her last Sunday and she agreed to model for me as well. Inasmuch, due to that partnership, we're becoming close friends."

Friends? Why did that thought stab her through the heart?

"Oh," both girls were relieved.

"Althea," Madeline said. "You must reconsider joining the Moonlit Witch."

"Yeah!" Heather pointed a finger upwards, one of her frequent hand gestures. "We're sure you could submit an artwork before the deadline tomorrow noon."

"You girls have all my utmost gratitude for your concern and advice; I might whip up something good tonight and submit."

"We'll leave you two to talk then." Madeline grabbed Heather's wrist and pulled her along. Heather looked hesitant but the redhead was persistent.

Before they left for good, both girls gave Hana the I-am-watching-you gesture, making Hana gulp involuntarily. She wasn't even aware of what she was doing wrong but the moment she stared at Althea, the confusion doubled inside her mind.