Playful Heart [16] Don't Mess With Me

Chapter Sixteen

Don't Mess With Me

Walking into the airport at Emery made my heart clench. Just seeing the name of my town made me ecstatic.  I didn’t even wait for everyone else, before I was heading off to get my bags. Unfortunately, everyone caught up to me just as I was about to walk outside and get the taxi.

“I take it you are excited to be home?” Lysander inquired as he started to pile everyone’s bags into the trunk. I couldn’t keep the cheesy grin off my face as I looked up at him.

“You have no idea. But I’m more excited for you to meet everyone.” I told him and he chuckled, leaning down to give me a small kiss. We piled into the taxi along with everyone else and gave the driver the address. We had to be dropped off in town, only because people weren’t supposed to really know about where the pack was. We were a gated community, and that’s how most treated it, but if you found yourself inside the gates and you weren’t apart of the pack or someone’s mate, well…good luck getting out.

I glanced over at my mate’s arm, my smile growing wider as I saw the mating mark full and dark, or getting close to it, on his arm. For him, it looked like it was just another tattoo. I pushed up the sleeve of my cardigan and felt my stomach flutter at the site of my mating mark. We had a discussion beforehand about showing them off, but I decided to keep it hidden.

The minute any of the females in my house saw the mark on us, they would go crazy and start planning the wedding. There of course was the issue of them smelling me on him, but Hazel and her ever so helpful remedies helped us mask the scent. So, the plan was to wait a couple of days until the mask wore off, and then show it off like a diamond ring. Well, technically it was like a wedding ring. Once you mate and the mark appears, you and your mate are married. Or at least that’s how it works in our pack. Other packs do it differently, but hey, no judging around here.

So here I was, in ninety degree weather, wearing a damn cardigan. And I would be wearing them for the remainder of time it took until we tell everyone. We reached the little town of Emery and climbed out of the taxi, handing the man the money for the ride and gathering our things.

“God. I’m so excited to see Erin and our little bundle of joy.” Noel gushed, breaking me from my thoughts. I looked over at him to see him smiling and turning side to side.

“How far along is she?” Essie asked, surprising me. I suddenly remembered what the man who was torturing Lysander was trying to say. He never got to finish, but if I used my handy dandy context clues my online teachers taught me in sixth grade, my money was on that it had something to do with children. Victor either wanted her back so he could use her as someone to breed his evil devil spawn, or, and I really hoped this wasn’t the case…Essie was already pregnant.

“Six months.” Noel answered her question and I heard Lysander choke. “We’re werewolves, when a human woman is pregnant for three months; we’re already eight months in.” He stated in a matter-of-fact tone, but more towards Lysander because everyone else already knew that. We started walking and once in front of the gate, I felt like bursting into tears.

It slowly opened after the men in the front saw us, and soon everyone was gathering around. As we walked in, I suddenly was filled with worry as the people began to whisper to one another, instead of cheering that we were back. I decided to ignore them, and continued to my house with Lysander, Nate, Hazel and Essie in tow. Noel had left us to go to his own house, where Erin was waiting no doubt.

I started up the front steps, my hand inches from the door handle, before it was thrown open and I had the wind knocked out of me as someone wrapped around my waist. I coughed a little, before looking down and seeing the culprit to be Navaeh. I chuckled and pet her hair as she sniffled into my chest. I heard a growl and looked over to see Lysander staring at my friend in anger.