Chapter 38

Grace's Point of View:

Suddenly someone started beating me with a broom.

"Please stop!" I said with a frown.

The hitting stopped.

"Who are you?" A woman said.

She clapped and the room lit up with lights. She had a broom in her hands, ready to strike me any moment

"I am Grace," I said, looking in her eyes.

Her brown eyes widened when our eyes met. The broom fell from her hands. With a gasp, she placed her hand over her mouth.

"Oh, my, my, my! It's you! My little Gracie!" she said, with a look of recognition on her face.

Who is she?

"I am Gratala, your grandmother," she said with a teary smile, "I thought I'd never see you again."

I didn't know what to say.

She pulled me in a tight hug.

"Look at you, you have turned into such a gorgeous woman. You were a little girl when I saw you the last time," she said, smiling.

How did she recognize me?

"It was very easy to recognize you. You look exactly like your mother," Gratala said.

Oh, gosh, I didn't know I said that out loud.

"I am very happy to meet you," I said.

"I'm sorry I hit you. I thought it was some burglar."

"It's okay," I said, giving a reassuring smile.

I wish I was never taken away from the Klataria. Growing up with my real family would have been such a wonderful experience.

"I wish that too, sweetie. I always missed you. We all did," she said.

Whoa, did she read my mind? Or I said that out loud again?

"Yeah, I read your mind," she chuckled.

"Wow, Thomas could do that too," I mumbled.

"Hmm, I know," she sighed, "sadly, he isn't with us anymore."

"I'm sorry," I said.

---

Gratala and I were walking in the streets of Serup. The city of Serup is an underground city. I was so amazed when I found that. The streets weren't dark, the whole city gets lit up with magic during the day.

The streets were filled with flying bats and people wearing black capes. The bats were huge, Gratala told me the bats were vampires. Most vampires living in Serup are different than the rest of the vampires of Klataria.

They are called the Serupias. Serupias don't go out in sunlight and can turn into bats. They are the type of vampires which can be found in most cliché vampire books in the human world.

"So, Gratala, do Serupias hate garlic?" I asked.

"No, that's absurd," Gratala laughed.

Gratala and I have bonded. Before leaving the house, we talked a lot. I told her my experiences in the human world. She talked about Thomas and my childhood. I didn't ask her why she cursed Flower or why she left Thomas. I didn't want to ruin her happy mood.

"How old is the oldest Serupia?" I said.

"9,230 years old," Gratala replied.

My jaw dropped. 9,230 years old!? That's too much.