Starr Academy: College Life- Chapter Twelve

Twelve

Gilliett groaned as he lightly banged his head on the wood table of the school's library. I gave him a gentle smile feeling sorry for him. The section we were studying was a complicated one, but I already understood it where as my old mentor was having a very difficult time wrapping his mind around the whole thing. I've been trying to help him for the past hour.

Strange how a month has nearly gone by and I have managed to adjust to the pressure of all my college professors. I've only struggled a little over a few of my classes. My brother and Zander always there to help me if I started struggling doing any of the homework.

Most of the time, I find that I loved doing my homework more in the kitchen on the breakfast bar. The guys chuckling as they come home or just into the kitchen to find all my work spread across the whole bar. My hair up in a messy bun. Books and papers trying desperately to spill over to the floor and the butcher block counter just a few inches below the breakfast bar.

"I'm never going to get this." Gilliett lifted his head up and then let it fall back to the table again.

"You're just over thinking it. Here..." I lifted up the text book and placed my paper over it where I put my notes on this subject. "Think of it this way... " I pointed to the spiral I had made on my page. "When I first read about creating the vortex, I saw it as a spiral of emotions that are set free. The air twisting and turning as both good and bad emotions collide as one."

He pulled my paper away from my hand and looked at it. "Amazing. You thought about emotions as the key, and here I thought you just had to force it. Now I can see how to do that." Turning his head to me, he smiled in thanks.

"Now for the next section."

But his hand came to rest on top of mine. A soft blush yet again lit my cheeks while I looked over to him. "I think we could use a break." He chuckled. "Thanks to me, we've wasted over an hour on one section."

My lips curled up. "I don't mind taking a bit if there is something your struggling with." I rolled my eyes. "I have loads of help to draw from." I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. "Mel insists on helping me. I think he just misses the constant company from last year."

"I'm sure it's your company that he misses the most." He moved my wayward strand of hair out of my eye after it fell from my braid I had done quickly by myself this morning. I'm still not used to doing it myself. Normally Zera would have done it, but she was still at Starr for her senior year with Franklin.

I sighed looking down. The strand falling back in front of my face. "And I miss Melerick himself." My throat constricted at the memory of my dream. The last dream I had with Melerick where he spent his last moments of his life with me. The memory of his blood seeping through my fingers as all I wanted to do was keep him from dying.

His hand that laid on top of mine gave me a soft and gentle squeeze. "You'll be able to see him again. Next Halloween he could show."

But I shook my head. "He won't be returning." I placed my free hand over my heart. "This is the only place he will be from now on. Always apart of me. As he was my past, I'll be his future."

Gilliett turned me to him, his hand moving the wayward strand back out of my face. "When did you become so wise?"

Closing my eyes, I held his hand to my skin because it eased some of the internal pain I felt right now. "I was always meant to be wiser beyond my years." My smiled was tinged with sadness. "A gift from Melerick."

"How about we call it quits for today? We can go get something to eat." His hand slipped away from my face to gather up he's things. I couldn't but smile as I did the same. Gilliett wanted to change the subject so I didn't have to think of painful things.