32. Resigned.

Abhishek's POV-

I woke up to see Vashi missing from the bed, and so I checked the time. It was 8:30 a.m. I went outside and saw her in the kitchen. I hugged her from behind, and kissed her cheek.

"Good morning." She said, cheerfully.

"Good morning." I said, still sleepy.

"Get ready. You have a meeting with the team at 9:30 in the BCCI Conference Room." She informed me.

"Aren't you coming?" I asked her.

"Uh.. no. It's just for the players." She said.

"But we've never had a team meeting without you." I told her.

"Arre baba, I already met them this morning." She said.

"When?" I questioned her.

"God, how many questions do you ask?" She chuckled.

"And yeah, I'd gone to meet them in the morning. It was something important. I returned half an hour ago. Now, stop with your questions and go get ready." She smiled at me.

I did as she said, and walked to the bathroom.

I came out wearing a grey button down, and khakhi coloured jeans, completing the look with white nike high top. I styled my hair and walked outside to the dining room.

After having my breakfast, and kissing Vashi, goodbye, I headed down to the parking lot.

I drove my black range rover to the BCCI headquarters.

As soon as I reached the conference room, I was flooded by everyone's wishes.

Ravi sir and Vinod sir, the president of BCCI entered the conference room after all the team members were settled.

"First of all, I'd like to congratulate Abhishek Sharma, on his engagement." Vinod sir smiled at me.

I stood and thanked him, and sat back.

"So, today's meeting was a sudden decision." Vinod sir started again.

"I know this decision will be hard for you all, but we had no other option." He said.

We all were really confused.

"Ravi is going to take it forward from here."

Vinod sir indicated Ravi sir to continue, as he sat on his chair.

"Okay, this is really tough." Ravi sir breathed.

"Urvashi resigned from her post as the Team Manager." He announced.

There was a round of silence, before all of us started throwing questions at him.

Why didn't Vashi tell me?

"Abhishek, you remember, last time Urvashi was called to the office?" He asked me.

I nodded my head.

"She told me it was something about the schedules." I told him.

"Well, it wasn't about the schedule. BCCI board members had asked her about her relationship with you. She denied by saying you both were just friends and nothing else. They'd told her if you guys get into a relationship or something, she'd have to choose either you or the job. When we got the news about your engagement with Urvashi, we were really happy. But, we also had to follow the rules. We called her to the office this morning, and spoke to her. We gave her the option again. You or the job. And without even wasting a single second she signed on the resignation papers." He ended.

I was shocked. I didn't know what to say. Why would she do that? This was her dream job!

"I know none of you are happy, but we can't change the rules." Vinod sir said.

"But sir, professional life and personal life are two different things." I stated.

"I know, Abhishek. But the rules say so." He said.

"I don't think ICC has such rules that say you can't be in a relationship with your colleague." Virat bhai stated.

"ICC does not, but BCCI does." Vinod sir said.

"But why?" Hardik bhai asked.

"It's because the player gets distracted." Sir pointed out.

"Sir, the reason I've reached this height in my career is because of her. I'm a successful cricketer because of her! She was always there standing with me, for me and by me. She's played a huge role in my career." I gave him a reason.

"I'm sorry, Abhishek, but I can't change the rule." Vinod sir said.

"Sir, she is our stress reliever. If you've noticed, after she became our Team Manager, we've hardly lost any matches. Infact we're the No.1 Team in all the formats! Virat is the No.1 Batsman is all the formats. Bhuvneshwar is the No.1 Bowler in all the formats. Abhishek is the No.1 All-Rounder in all the formats. It's just India everywhere, and this has never happened before." Mahi bhai stated.

Vinod sir was about to say something but Ravi sir beat him to it.

"I'm sorry to interrupt you sir, but what Mahendra is saying is true. Urvashi has got that spark in her " Ravi sir said.

"I'll have a talk with the other members. Just a minute."

So saying, he stepped out of the room to have a chat with the other members, as all of us waited for him.

He came in after fifteen minutes.

"Urvashi is on her way here."

****

Heyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Liked the chapter?

Vote! ❤