Chapter 12

Don't forget to vote and comment!

(If you don't, you'll step on a lego)

Follow me to become a member of #TEAMBLOSSOMS!

The next day and another two school periods later, and I've finally returned to a state of normalcy within myself, since the heavy conversation from last night and the encounter this morning.  Maybe I can even live out a normal existence until the end of the day. I deserve that, right?

I spin around and run into a hard wall. I rub my nose and look up. Okay...Not a wall, Jack Travels, but they're basically the same thing, right?

I give him an annoyed sigh and pick up my bag, which had fallen to the floor in our collision. He does nothing but stand there and watch me perceptively, chewing his gum and leaning against an opposite locker.

"What do you want?" I ask in complete annoyance. I guess he's back to being the Jackass I know and loathe.

He gives me a full smile and pushes me lightly. "Why do you assume my intentions to talk to you always have a grand scheme? What if I just wanted to say 'hi'?"

I roll my eyes. "Hi. Bye."

I try to walk away, because I'm seriously late getting to Biology, but he steps in front of the exit between a row of lockers, blocking my way.

I let out a long breath. "What?"

Jack brushes back his hair. "See? This is what I mean by difficult."

I scoff. "More like indifferent. To anything involving you."

He steps forward. "I thought we were going to put aside our differences?"

I nod. "We were going to. Even though you're technically a stranger to me and I'm forced into this because it's what I have to do to keep Delilah away. I've already told you this."

"Yeah..." He says cautiously.

After a moment, he crosses his arms. "How about lunch?"

I raise an eyebrow. "It's in between breakfast and dinner."

"Lunch with me." he clarifies.

I smile. "It's in between your dreams and never. Like. Ever."

Actually, lunch with Jack doesn't sound all that bad. I don't dislike his being as much as I used to on that first day when all he did was be annoying. But I'm not going to admit that to him. Still...Was that a little harsh?

Jack blushes, and I almost spit out my drink before I realize that I don't have a drink. I'm almost prepared to buy a drink and then spit it out all over his shirt.

"You're blushing." I state dubiously.

He purses his lips. "Well, I'm only human."

"Yeah, but you're usually just so full of yourself."

He shrugs. "Well if I wasn't full of myself, then who would be?"

I have an odd feeling in the pit of my stomach, torn between wanting to shove him away and laugh.

He sighs. "I was going to do a once-over of the resume sent by Delilah to court...And unearth some more dirt, but if you're not up for the extra time..."

I bite my lip. I don't even have to think twice.

"Oh, screw it. Where are we having lunch then?"

He smiles. "Renzo's. 64th street. We'll go during the courtyard lunch period before anyone misses us."

He finally steps out of the way, letting me go to Biology. I rush as quickly as I can across the hall to Ms. Fit.

Let me tell you something...Ms. Fit really is misfit. She's a very large woman with a protruding stomach and a double chin. When I first met her, I thought she was pregnant. But now I know that she's really just fat.

However, she's crazy about her students getting to class on time. I've gotten many a tardy in her class, and as soon as I walk through that door I know that I'm about to get another...

She hands me a pink slip and I take it out of her chubby hands. I shove it in my backpack and simultaneously slip into a seat in the back.

Unfortunately, I've neglected to check who exactly it is I'm sitting next to. A disgusted sigh escapes Paige's perfect lips as she gives me a once-over.

I turn to her with shock, which quickly morphs into exasperation. A cheerleading she-demon.

How great.

She surveys me coldly and then puts on a fake, sickly sweet smile.

"Was he good at least?"

I purse my lips. "Um, what?"

She grins. "Jack. Was he good? I bet he has a big one."

It takes me a second to register what she's talking about. But as soon as I catch on I open my mouth in disgust.

"That's gross! I did not sleep with the guy! I can barely stand him!"

That may be a slight exaggeration. I've found Jack's relative presence to be quite bearable, even though I may act otherwise.

Paige rolls her eyes. Maybe if she goes far enough she can find her brain. But that's just wishful thinking. Everyone knows that's never going to happen.

She just sneers at me and turns back to her work. "Lie all you want, we know you did. It's the talk of the school!"

I gasp. "Are you spreading rumors about me? You know just as well as I do that it never happened!"

She shrugs. "Whatever."

"I see the far extent of your vocabulary is beginning to show."

She snaps her head and glares at me. "You're such a bitch!"

"You just don't like the fact that I'm actually calling out your bullshit!"

Kelsy sticks her head into our conversation. "Don't talk to my friend like that!"

I shake my head. "She's just mad I beat her at the game."

"What game?"

Kelsy slaps back her hair. "Paige can beat you at any game."

I snort. "Yeah, maybe a slut game."

"Paige can SO beat you at a slut game!"

I restrain from laughing my head off at Kelsy's blind loyalty. Paige's face turns red and she hisses back at her friend.

"Shut up."

She should follow her own advice...