Chapter 35

Vote and comment if you enjoyed! Don't be a litterer! (Earth Day was just yesterday guys!)

Follow me to become a member of #TEAMBLOSSOMS!

I place a hand on Jack's shoulder and lightly push him away.

"A kiss? After a make-out with Paige? At the risk of an STD? No thanks."

I smile brightly at him and turn my back down the hall. I can feel his eyes on me the entire way back.

...

The school day is a big, dashed together blur after my encounter with Jack. All throughout lunch, whenever Astrix asked me if I was all right, I would reply with a distant grunt. In reality, my mind was occupied with a million different possibilities of Jack's "master plan." I mean...He must have one after his surety with Paige and his unconcernedness with being seen with me specifically.

Next Saturday is the trial. I need to find a way to let court know about the family tie and keep Paige from opening her big, fat mouth about me or what's left of my family.

And, in the process, find a way to be with Jack while Paige's threats have no real effect on me, which is, at this point, virtually impossible.

What does Jack have in store?

I let out a long breath and slip into Astrix's front seat, buckling my seat belt and leaning against her window.

"Drive me over to Jack's."

Astrix looks at me in surprise, her eyes wide. "Jack's? But isn't that-"

"It's important," I insist. "I can't put it off."

I stare at Astrix pleadingly and she reluctantly nods, slowly pulling on the throttle and backing out of the parking slot.

"Whatever you say Oaklyn...Now... do I make a left or a right?"

...

I stand with my arms crossed, flicking my eyes down to my watch every once in a while in an attempt to quell my anxiousness.

Where is he? I texted him on the way here, and he said he'd drive right over from school. The last thing I need is for some "crew" member to drive right by and spot me. There's no way such news would be kept quiet. This is Glen Wood High we're talking about.

I crack my knuckles one by one, and as I stretch out the fifth finger, a car turns around the bend and I spot Jack's sleek sport's vehicle.

A blond head pops up out of the window, and Jack waves at me.

"Get in!"

I hesitate for a moment. "What? I thought we were going to-"

"Talk? Yeah. Just not here."

I chew on my bottom lip before throwing up my arms and skipping down the sidewalk. I get in the front seat and immediately turn to face him.

"Where's your Dad right now?"

He snorts. "Probably getting drunk with his friends at the firm. He's usually always late unless he invites his buddies over to our house for poker shots."

I nod and purse my lips. "Oh." That's all I can think to say.

Jack nods and clutches at the steering wheel. I see his knuckles turn white and instinctively I move to touch his hand. He relaxes visibly but doesn't look at me.

I sigh and lean back in my seat, turning my head to look out the window. Wherever we're going, I hope we get there soon, because I'm positively bursting with questions.

Turns out Jack's ideal chat space is only a short ways from our school, down the tangle of forests near the trail that many joggers run by. He parks at the side of the road and we get down next to a particularly large oak tree.

He walks by it and places a hand on the smooth bark.

"Many people run right by here, but they don't notice how peaceful it can be under the shade. Even when it's raining or whatever...This place is like a haven."

I smile and lean against the trunk. From our position, I can see the lake down the block. Sunlight hits the waves and causes a shimmer on the foam left after they crash against the shore.

Jack speaks, snapping me back into reality.

"And it's here when I need it again. To talk to you. Because...God only knows its a scary ordeal."

I raise my eyebrows. "Who knew I was so scary, huh?"

It was a joke, but neither one of us laugh. We settle into an amicable silence and Jack slips down to the base of the tree. I brush my hair away from my face and stare at him.

He has so many sides to him. He can be arrogant and cocky, or sweet and serious and sometimes a mix of all four. I'm not exactly sure what side I'm seeing now. Maybe it's at a standstill.

"About the trial," he starts. I nod and slip down next to him.

"I've been thinking about a bunch of cases."

I feel my stomach drop. "You know, the family tie is a perfectly good piece of evidence."

"But if we use it, you'll get hurt."

"I don't care about that."

"You should."

Jack pulls his knees to his chest and stares at the ground. His jaw, as always, works up and down as he chews mint gum. He probably chews that stuff in his sleep.

I shrug. "We could send an anonymous e-mail? So it doesn't get traced back to me."

Jack shakes his head. "My dad will know who sent it. He has his ways of tracing such things."

I twist a piece of my hair in between two fingers. "We could-"

"No."

Jack says it plainly and bluntly. I shake my head and he shakes his.

"It's not happening."

I sigh and lean against the bark. He studies me, but this time I refuse to look at him.

"Tell them your story. What Delilah did to you. Make it...Come alive again."

Come alive again. That's probably my worst fear.

He leans forward. "I'm serious. Get their pity and then you can-"

"I don't want anyone's pity!" I snap. Jack purses his lips.

"I don't want anyone to look at me and feel sorry. I'd rather have your dad send one of his goons on me and finish me off because I'd rather that than lie down and beg for something."

Jack blinks twice and before I can get another word out, his hands move to my sides and pin me down to the tree.

"I admire that about you. After we've started on this case...It's that side of you that's made my stick to this."