Chapter 16

Don't forget to vote and comment!

(If you don't, you'll step on a lego)

Follow me to become a member of #TEAMBLOSSOMS!

I rush into my apartment room, shutting the door firmly behind me and then collapsing on the floor in a heap. I can't deal with all the crap life's throwing my way. Of course, it would be like this...Of course.

After all I've been through, I shouldn't even be surprised.

Karma really is a bitch...But what exactly was it that I did to deserve all this?

I bury my face in my hands and slip down further into the floor, resting my head on the coffee table. What am I supposed to do now? The guy I thought was my way out, who I thought would actually help me in this case, turns out to be the very instigator's nephew!

Who am I supposed to turn to now?

I groggily screw the cap off a Fiji water bottle and hold it up to my lips. As I set it back down, I hear my phone ringing in my pocket.

I pull it out and see Jack's number popping up on the screen. I inwardly groan. I never should have given him my number, but it's too late now...

I don't answer it and leave my phone untouched next to my sneaker. He can call me all he wants, I'm never speaking to him again. He may hate his father, but he's not going to help me keep his aunt in jail.

He rings a few more times, but I plug my ears in and keep my head ducked, trying to get rid of a throbbing headache and the incessant buzzing I hear all around me.

Finally, there's a loud ding, ringing from my phone. He shot me a text. Against my better judgement I flip my phone around to read what he sent.

Oaklyn, we need to talk. Will you let me EXPLAIN?

I hesitate, torn on whether or not to reply or ignore him altogether.

Finally, I pick the phone up.

There's nothing you can say that will change my mind. I'm not working with you anymore. Please. Just leave me alone.

He doesn't heed my request.

God damn it Oaklyn. You just rush out and always assume the worst, always jumping to conclusions. Can you not just stop and listen for a second?

I let out a loud breath.

So are you telling me that your Aunt Delilah and my Dad's ex Delilah are not the same person?

He's kidding, right?

They are. But I had no idea. All I knew about my own aunt was that she went away for a while, because that's all my dad would tell me! We never involved ourselves in each other's lives...

I sigh. That may be so...But still. It's just wrong. I switch my phone off and curl up in a ball on the couch. I can spend the rest of the day here and leave the troubles and queries to tomorrow. Yeah, that seems like a good idea.

I brush a hand through my hair and nervously snap my wristband. It's an old childhood habit that never really faded away.

I stay seated in that position for a good ten minutes until the doorbell rings repeatedly. I jump in shock, and then quickly get to my feet. Maybe it's Astrix, come to soothe me. Maybe she just sensed my distress and is here to make me feel better!

I rush to the door and press the radio dial.

"Hello?"

There's heavy breathing on the other side. "Haz-Oaklyn?"

I recognize Jack's voice and groan. "I'm not letting you up here."

"You can't tune me out without listening to me!"

I put my hand on my hip. "Oh yes, I can! For all I know, you'll sneak into the kitchen and stab me with a knife!"

I take in a sharp intake of breath, and I hear Jack do the same.

"I wouldn't do that." He says softly. "I'm not like that."

I purse my lips. "But then what else am I supposed to expect from my Dad's ex-wife's brother's son?"

As soon as the sentence leaves my lips, I freeze and then promptly burst into laughter. Oh god...High school is supposed to be drama-filled, but this is too much. Life should come with a manuel.

I can almost feel Jack's surprise over the line, and after a moment he starts laughing too. We must look like lunatics, standing here on opposite ends of a line and laughing at a no-laughing matter.

After a moment or so, I calm down and my laughter turns into tears. I whisper across the line.

"What are we going to do?"

There's dead silence for a few seconds.

"I don't know," he admits. "But whatever we figure out, we'll end up doing together. You saw how my Dad is, and his sister must only be worse. We'll keep them both away from us. I promise."

He promised.

I can sense the sincerity in his voice, and decide to trust him. Once this whole court case is over, we'll both walk away as winners. I will have freedom from Delilah's terror, and he will get the satisfaction of seeing the people in his life that he hates with an equal burning passion, fall.

Will I be able to stand working with him now, though? After knowing who he is? Who's blood he shares? After knowing his aunt killed my parents?

I'm afraid I don't really have a choice.