Chapter 20

Don't forget to vote and comment!

(If you don't, you'll step on a lego)

Follow me to become a member of #TEAMBLOSSOMS!

The next day, I walk into school, my mood slightly lighter than usual and my demeanor unusually happier. Between knowing that there's no way Delilah can manipulate court with a persuasive attorney, and Jack almost kissing me last night, I feel great!

Things have definitely changed between us since we have gotten ourselves tangled in this mess. Aside from out unusual roots and connections to this crazy problem, we have been supporting each other all through- out this case. I'm confident that we'll come out on the winning side at the trial.

With that good note swimming around in my head, it's almost impossible not to be in a good mood!

I practically skip down the hallway to find Astrix at her locker, where she unceremoniously dumps her books. She spins around when she senses me standing behind her. Her eyes are hollowed out and she looks distant.

I take a step back and firmly shake her shoulder. "Hey...Are you all right?"

She lets in a big breath and shakes her head. "Um, actually....I want to talk to you later. We'll hit the club today, yeah?"

I look at her nervously, shifting my weight from foot to foot. I can't possibly turn her down when she's looking like this.

"Yeah. Of course, anything for you Astrix."

She gives me a small smile before unknotting her unkempt, blond hair. "You're the best."

"That's what I'm here for."

I watch as she walks away with her truckload of textbooks, genuinely worried for my friend.

I sigh and turn in the opposite direction to Calculus. My pulse quickens as I think of seeing Jack for the first time since last night. It's not that I'm scared, it's just that it'll be semi-awkward, and I hate having tensions with others.

I take my time, carefully aligning my books into my carrier before taking a seat. The slot next to me is empty, meaning he's not here yet.

After a few minutes, he comes in with the next wave of students and I look up, trying to catch his eye.

Jack completely ignores me, averting his gaze and sitting at the furthest edge to the left, placing his chin in his palm and shutting me out.

I open my mouth in shock, crossing my arms on my desk and staring at him. He continues to look off into space, tapping a pencil against the side of his desk.

What is up with him? Does he regret what he did last night and is now trying to play it off like nothing happened to spare my feelings? Well, damn, the least he could do is offer an explanation. And he calls me confusing.

I shift to the right and cross my legs, leaning my elbow facing away from him. Two can play at that game. Now that he's back to being a Jackass...

Mrs. Casper stands at the front of the board, droning off the attendance sheet and then rambling on and on about equations.

The entire time, working through the textbook, Jack keeps his distance and is careful to avoid eye contact with me. I do the same, playing him at his own strategy.

Secretly, however, there's a layer of hurt. I thought we were actually starting to become friends. But no. He was just doing everything to get back at his dad, and now that it's out of the way he's back to being a crew member. Trying to keep face in front of his crew friends.