Chapter 29

Don't forget to vote and comment!

(If you don't, you'll step on a lego)

Follow me to become a member of #TEAMBLOSSOMS!

The next day at school and everything is back to being an abnormal alternate dimension. Whenever I walk past, Paige and Jack always seem to be going at it, probably to spite me more than anything.

Astrix tries her best to keep my mind off of them, talking about how she's going to be the maid of honor at her mother's wedding and what she's going to wear.

In the past couple of days, the reality of the situation seemed to finally sink into her mind, and she stopped crying about it and almost seemed to look forward to the entire thing.

It's probably just because of the cake.

(Sigh) Classic Astrix.

Her antics don't entirely succeed, however. I can't help but notice how Jack swapped out his seat in Math to sit next to Cody. I know it's for the sake of the cover, but I sort of wish he didn't. I'm not sure when I started feeling this way, and I'm not sure what it will lead to. Not yet.

But what I do know is that I can expect this all to come to an end soon, and I cling on to that notion so I don't break down and claw Paige's white-blond hair out in the middle of lunch.

The next period over, I walk into Biology and close my eyes for a brief second. When I open them again, Paige materializes before me, a smirk playing at her barbie doll lips.

She waltzes towards me and pulls me into the seat next to her. I roll my eyes as a shiver goes through my spine all at once. What does she want from me this time?

I cross my legs and stare at her. "What?"

She lets out a big breath. "I have another request for you."

What feels like a cold stone drops in the pit of my stomach and I almost groan out loud. I have no choice but continue playing whatever game she has set out for me. That is, of course, unless I want to be sent back to California Orphanages until the end of the year...Possibly letting out Delilah and giving her access to the free world. 

She so doesn't deserve that.

I bite the inside of my cheek and curtly nod. "Hmm...Don't you always?"

My jaw clenches as I look at her expectantly. She considers me for a moment before tugging in her eyebrows and leaning on her fist.

"I realized something. I don't just want Jack. He's only temporary and after all this...After high school and shit...College is up next."

I raise an eyebrow. Where is this going?

Paige sucks in a big breath and bats her eyelashes, staring down at her desk.

"As you probably already know, I spend a majority of my time gracing the school with my...Leadership. They all look up to me, you know? And that leaves me a bit short-handed with the grades."

I slowly nod and brush a strand of dark hair out of my face.

"You want me to tutor you to boost your grades?"

Paige laughs lightly, but her eyes stay cold. "No, I don't think you understand. I want your grades."

It takes a moment to even slightly register what she's saying. I fold my hands neatly in front of me and turn to face her.

"Sorry...Not really...But I don't think I understand."

Paige tilts her head. "Your application form. What did you include?"

I purse my lips. "Essays, GPA, SAT scores, lab reports all throughout the year-"

"Yes!" Paige snaps her fingers, interrupting me.

"The lab reports. That's what I've been missing..."

I wrinkle my forehead in confusion before suddenly opening my mouth and covering it with the palms of my hands. No. NO.

"You're not taking my reports. I've been working on those since freshman year!"

Paige casually inspects her nails and shrugs. "Fine, then. I'm not taking the reports. But your secret will not stay with me."

I glare at her while she stares at her hands. Fire burns behind my eyes, and I wish I could transfer that fire to her body. I feel like crying.

All the hard work...All throughout these past three years...Down the drain for some stupid high school drama.

I tap my foot against the desk and my fingers twitch on my lap. At that moment, Ms. Fit walks up to the front of the board and drones on in a monotone voice.

I'm not focused on a word she's saying. Instead, I stare at Paige with so much hatred, it might even rival my feelings for Delilah.

No...No one is as bad as she is, not even Paige.

And I could always think of another thing to give in for Prep. I'm sure they'll accept my English essays...Maybe...

Paige turns to me, tapping her pedicured finger-nails neatly against the top of her desk.

"Well?"

I part my lips and hiss. "Fine."

I spit the word out and repeat it again, softly, to myself. "Fine."