Chapter 13

Don't forget to vote and comment!

(If you don't, you'll step on a lego)

Follow me to become a member of #TEAMBLOSSOMS!

I walk out of Biology quickly, so I don't have to deal with Paige and Kelsy, the 2/3 of the squad who share my class.

They're already hella miffed at me for insulting them, and I don't want to push my boundaries with them any further. Anyway, it's time for lunch, and I should probably go meet Jack at Renzo's across the school.

We need to discuss whatever it is that Jack uncovered. But I suddenly find myself thinking,

'Is that the only reason I want to meet him?'

I sigh and push that thought out of my head. No matter how admittedly good-looking that kid is, physique-no matter how amazing- shouldn't matter to me. The only thing I rely on him for is the information he can relay.

Right?

I sigh and duck my head, making my way to my locker.

Whatever. It's not like anything is likely to happen anytime soon, whether I want it to or not. Do I want it to?

I really don't know. Jack can be a big ass, but there are other sides to him, like our moments spent at his house, or the moments I see between him and Amara that make me think otherwise. He's so...Confusing...

Then there's Noah to think about. I've always liked him, all through -out the years I've known him. I'm still doubting whether or not he see's me as something other than a friend, however, and this entire boy's thing is confusing.

I numbly open my locker to shove my books back in and barely straighten up when I hear a bang next to me and instantly jump a foot in the air, slamming against the back of the wall.

Oh...It's just Jack.

My pulse quickens, but it's just from the shock, or at least that's what I tell myself.

He leans against the locker and stares at me, amusement evident in his cobalt gaze. I pull up my backpack and shut my locker closed.

"Nearly gave me a heart-attack..."

He grins. "Yeah, 'cause that was the plan."

I push back my hair and cross my arms. "So, we're going to eat at Renzo's right?"

He nods. "Away from all the prying eyes. Delilah's sensitive case can't come back to the gossip rings at Glen Wood."

I let out a long breath and nod. That's something we can both agree on.

Before I follow him out the door, I pull out my phone and quickly shoot Astrix a text, otherwise she'll get all worried about my absence. Hopefully, she'll be the only one to notice it in the first place, I don't want to land myself in too much trouble.

Jack holds out his hand and I'm tempted to take it, but instead decide to shove my hands into my pockets and tune him out.

He looks slightly disconcerted but walks beside me and out the door. We walk across two intersections and past three blocks, making small-talk. Avoiding the big issue and skimping over mundane articles.

"Do you think it's gonna rain? Clouds are out and stuff..."

"It's not scheduled to, but who knows? Anything could happen..."

Seriously? The weather? There are a lot more pressing things to talk about. But I guess that should wait until we reach Renzo's, right?

We make it under the stoop after a couple of minutes, a large crane swinging precariously above my head, a coffee model spitting out into a teacup.

Jack holds the door open for me, and I walk in, spreading my palm out on the glass and retracting immediately as soon as our hands touch.

As I walk in, all thoughts are immediately wiped out of my head as I spot a familiar face, gesturing emphatically across a table.

Noah LeBlanc. No way...

I widen my eyes and take a step back, heart beating abnormally fast. It's really crazy what a stupid crush can do to you, you know?

Jack puts a hand on my shoulder, questioning me. He follows my gaze and when he see's what I'm staring at, he stiffens.

"Isn't that the bouncer from the party?"

I nod. "Um, yeah. Astrix's cousin."

"Astrix? Oh, that girl you're always hanging out with."

I nod. "Yeah, we should probably say 'hi.' "

He shakes his head. "We don't have to do anything."

I leave before he can finish his sentence and make my way over to Noah's table. He's sitting alone with earphones plugged in at a far corner. A simmering cup of coffee sits in front of him, untouched.

His eyes raise to meet mine as soon as I approach, and he gives me a small smile, dark eyes suddenly lightening jovially.

"Oaklyn! I haven't seen you since the party, what's up?"

I smile shyly. "Nothing much. How's college treating you?"

He laughs. "It has whooped my ass, let me tell you...What schools have you applied for, maybe you can join me at prep?"

I nod. "That's high up on the list, haha."

He smiles again. "I could show you around campus one day, maybe teach you all the secrets. Introduce you to the people, find you an apartment..."

"That would be great!"

Jack walks up behind me. He tunes Noah out and focuses his gaze on me.

"Case? File? And most importantly...Food?"

I nod. "Just a little longer. Here, you can order. Get whatever you want, I'm not hungry."

I take a seat around Noah's table and look up at Jack for confirmation. A nerve works in his jaw as it moves up and down, chewing gum. But he doesn't refuse.

He walks back to the line, but his back isn't fully turned. He's watching me.

Noah purses his lips as he brings his cup of coffee to his mouth.

"Who's he? Boyfriend?"

I feel heat creep up my cheeks. "Definitely not. We're just, uh, doing something for school."

He nods and then asks me about Astrix.

Later on, Jack comes to join us at the table. He silently eats his food and his eyes flick back and forth between me and Noah.

I'm so immersed in my conversation that I don't notice Jack leave the table and start to head back to the school. At least not until Noah points out the caramel latte he left behind for me with a note.

"I was informed this was your favorite. Wish I was there to manually hand this to you. Enjoy it anyway."

I drop my head on the table and groan. I am so insensitive....

 I am so insensitive