Chapter 34

Don't forget to vote and comment!

(If you don't, you'll step on a lego)

Follow me to become a member of #TEAMBLOSSOMS!

I chug the rest of the Fiji water left in my bottle before stepping down from Astrix's car. She drove me over to school today, since I spent the rest of last night at her house, relaying the events of that afternoon.

It took a whole lot of appealing to her better half on my part to get her to stop planning torture devices and ways to lure Paige to the top of a jagged cliff.

I don't want any trouble. We're so close to the trial, it's in a little over a week away, and I don't want to ruin it all at the last second.

I also don't want Paige to let out the truth about me and my past, lest social security catch wind of it and haul me off against my will.

I blame it all on the date of my birth. Stupid December 31'st...

Astrix grabs on to my arm and pulls me up from my position against her car's door. I squint my eyes and groan.

"Do I have to go?"

I whine and Astrix puts her hands on her hips. "You can't risk them contacting your parents, who, need I remind you, are currently indisposed. Do you really want it to end that way?"

I sigh. "What about the old stomach bug excuse?"

She rolls her eyes. "That won't work every time. Now you're going to march in there, hold your head high, and show the "crew" that they have no effect on you!"

I weakly attempt to straighten myself up and put on a brave smile. Astrix tugs in her eyebrows.

"You look like you just ate a baby or something. Drop the smile and walk in...."

I stop smiling and purposefully smooth out my shirt before walking up the front steps to the entrance.

My locker is all the way in the farthest hall, so I run as fast as I can, empty out my books and walk into Math.

The seat next to mine is occupied by Eunice, a shy girl with braces and thick-framed glasses. She's nice but painfully introverted. I wave at her politely and she lets out a short breath.

We are commanded to work in pairs, and it's extremely hard to get Eunice to cooperate. I lean against a fist and sigh as she mutters the question under her breath.

My eyes float over to the other side of the room, where Jack sits with his football buddies. Cody spins a pencil in between his fingers and points at Aiden, who nudges Jack.

He bends over the paper they're working on and laughs out loud before abruptly turning his head and spotting me. Our eyes connect and it's too late to look away. The corner of his mouth tilts up and I shake my head before staring down at my desk.

I can't.

I excuse myself and Eunice nods imperceptively as I grab a hall pass and dart out of the room. I'm not sure where I'm going to go, but I can't stay in that room with him anymore. It's just too much. And at the same time...It's not enough.

I'll go out somewhere, I think to myself, heading for the doors.

I grab onto the smooth, metal door bar and a hand encloses around my wrist. It pulls me away from the door and forces me back.

I turn with an audible gasp to look up at none other than the Jackass.

He plants both arms on the door and hovers over me. I slide away and try to duck under him, but he blocks me, forcing me in one position.

I tap my fingers against each other and try to put as much authority behind my voice as I can.

"I'm just going out. Let me go before we're seen."

Jack moves closer and doesn't answer me.

I put both hands on his chest and push him back as hard as I can, but he barely stumbles. He steps forward again and his hands slip down my shoulders. I stand still for a moment before attempting another getaway.

He gently stops me before making another advance, leaning in to whisper against my ear.

"I meant what I said yesterday, you know?"

What did he say yesterday? Oh yeah. How could I forget?

"...If you come near me or upset my girlfriend again, we're going to have problems..."

I cross my arms defiantly and lean my back against the door.

"Oh yeah?"

He smiles and nods. "My words were directed at the plastic barbie doll standing across from you."

My breath catches in my throat and I suddenly find it hard to breathe. I was fine just a second ago...

Jack leans in a little closer and the motion of gum-chewing stops. He hovers there, his lips only an inch away.

It takes every fiber of my being not to spring up so we're level face-to-face.

Instead, I stand there. Frozen.

Jack grabs my hand and pulls me away from the door.

"I have an idea on how to get rid of Paige, but you're going to have to do whatever I say in order for this to work."

I nod mutely. Jack smiles and then crosses his arms.

"First order of business. Can we kiss? Paige made me do a public make-out session in the parking lot earlier..."