Twenty Three

O hai guyz, long time no see!

____________________

Sunlight beamed through the window as Alice's eyes fluttered open. A wide smile grew on her face as she heard the gentle dripping of melting snow, signalling it would be a warm, beautiful day. With a triumphant yawn, she stretched her arms high above her head as she pondered what she would do on that lovely Saturday. Maybe she would finally tick off some of those errands she had been putting off, or maybe she would go for a walk down by the pond –

"Listen, Alice, I'm so sorry if I mislead you in any way..."

"Nope," she said as Isaac's voice echoed through her ears. "Fuck this."

Without skipping a beat, she threw the blanket over her head, letting the bricks that filled her stomach weigh her down to the mattress. She clenched her eyes shut and begged for sleep to take over; there was not a single ounce in her body that was prepared to deal with the events from the night before. As the ghostly memories of Isaac backing away from her, wide-eyed, disgusted, and terrified, filled her mind, she drifted off into a restless nightmare.

Three hours later Alice begrudgingly opened her eyes, cursing the sunlight for being so damn warm that it melted the snow, causing that pestering dripping that woke her from her sleep. With the blanket still covering her head, she massaged her eyes and forehead, trying to remember what she had to do that day. There was something important, and it wasn't just chores...

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow night, then? For the Christmas party?"

Alice snapped up from the pillow with her eyes bulging from their sockets, the urge to throw up growing so quickly she had to remind herself she didn't get drunk the night before.

"No. God, no, please, no," she pleaded, now gripping her skull with her fingernails. "I can't do this."

Somehow, she had completely forgotten about the Christmas party. As a stream of curse words flew from her mouth, she hopped from her bed and began pacing her room, frantically biting her fingernails.

There was no way she was going to that party. Not a chance. If she had it her way, she would never see Isaac again. At least not for a very, very long time. Ideally, after Isaac was well into his senior years and his memory had begun degenerating.

"Oh, god dammit," she hissed. "What about Emily?"

Apparently, Alice's memory was already quickly degenerating, because she had completely forgotten she invited Emily along so she could properly seduce Blaise into a monogamous relationship. She couldn't leave her best friend hanging like this...not after she reached such a momentous milestone in her life. What kind of friend would she be?

Although, these were special circumstances.

Alice stopped her pacing and dove to her bed, digging through her blankets in search of her cellphone. All she had to do was explain to Emily what happened...they could make a new plan to seduce Blaise in the near future.

She found her cellphone and swiped to Emily's contacts, smashing every key with determination.

"EMILY I SCREWED UP SO BADLY."

Alice re-read the text message as her thumb hovered over the 'send' button. The thought of explaining that Isaac shut her down so embarrassingly filled her body with dread. The second she said the words, it would become a reality that she couldn't pretend didn't exist. She would have to relive all the details...the feeling of Isaac's soft lips on hers for that split second before he ripped them away...

She erased the message and typed out a new one.

"Hey, girl! I've come down with an awful flu and won't be able to make it to the Christmas party tonight! Have fun without me. <3"