Twenty Nine

_______________

"No! No! God no, make it stop!" Blaise cried in agony as his entire body crumpled to the floor. "Please, somebody help me!"

    "What the hell is your problem?" Alice called from the kitchen, peeling her eyes away from the cutting board, but still chopping the orange carrot expertly.

    "I'm dying!"

    Alice huffed and set the knife down on the counter. Rolling her eyes, she put her hands on her hips and stomped into the living to find Blaise on his knees. A look of anguish was imprinted on his face as he panted exaggeratedly, smashing the buttons of the video game controller in his hands, staring unblinkingly at the television. The television blinked red with a large "GAME OVER" flashing over the screen and the video game controller fell from Blaise's hands as he grasped his face in pain.

    "Those bloody idiots," he shouted into his palms. "I was on such a fucking roll, and then they all just screwed me, Alice!"

    Alice gawked at the scene in front of her, shaking her head in sheer disbelief.

    "You are such a drama queen," she said.

    "This is serious business," he said, peering at her between her fingertips. "I'm only twelve levels away from being ranked."

    "You know," she said, her hands still gripping into her hips, "when you insisted that we cook supper together instead of going out to eat, I sort of imagined that you would be helping me cook. Not me cooking the entire meal as you play 'Underwatch' or whatever it's called."

    "It's called 'Overwatch', Alice," Blaise said matter-of-factly before a sly grin crept up his face. "Besides, you're so much better at cooking than I am."

    "Ugh, I know. But that's not the point," she said, rolling her eyes one last time before returning to the kitchen. "Come on, stir the sauce for me while I finish with the salad."

    "Fine, mother..."

    Alice shot him a quick glare before retreating to her knife and carrot, silently wishing Emily wasn't working late so she could have a little more assistance.

    "It's sort of weird eating spaghetti without Isaac, isn't it?" Blaise asked, and Alice once again dropped the knife and shot him a warning look. He held up his hands defensively before grabbing the spoon to stir the bolognese sauce. "What? It's an honest question!"

    "I'm allowed to eat spaghetti even though Isaac is an idiot and deciding to ignore my existence," she said, grabbing the knife tightly and stabbing it into the carrot. "I'm not going to change my diet just because he seems to think it's perfectly fine to drop a friendship just because he's still dating Fiona and - "

    The knife slipped from the carrot and she nearly sliced her finger, making her let out a high squeal of fear. Blaise rushed over to her and gently pulled the knife away from her hands, backing away slowly.

    "Relax, relax," he said in a hushed voice. "I was just merely making an observation. I'm sorry. How about you go on the sauce duty, and I'll take care of chopping the innocent vegetables before someone gets hurt..."

    She nodded and grabbed the bottle of red wine from the counter, pouring a splash into the pasta sauce before pouring a splash into her mouth straight from the bottle.

    "Very classy," Blaise said winking at her, and she raised her middle finger before pressing the bottle back to her lips. "He is an idiot, though. Every time I try to talk to him about it, he just tells me he's not ignoring you, that he's busy simply busy with work - "