Thirty Nine

YAY MY STORY IS BACK ON WATTPAD!! 

Shout out to @drummerman88 for sort of inspiring an event in this chapter hahaha. <3 

Gah, there's probably so many typos in this, because I changed a lot of things around in this this morning but really wanted to post it before I go to work today, so I rushed through all the edits!!  And by "rushed through" I mean, I'm not even reading this for a second time until after my shift so realistically....there's basically no edits hahaah. Probably going to change some things around tonight like sentence structuring and whatnot, but I just wanted to post something this afternoon after the craziness of Wattpad glitches yesterday! So...yay! Chapter!

--

"So, guess who I saw yesterday," Alice asked as she leaned against her desk, facing the window of her office to take in the beautiful view of the skyline. Isaac moved from the other side of the desk to join her with his paper coffee cup in hand, giving a small nod to motion her to continue. She smirked, waiting until he had a mouthful of coffee before saying, "Mark."

Isaac let out a sputtering cough as he struggled to force the hot black coffee down his throat. After regaining composure and wiping off his mouth, he casually leaned against the desk beside her with an air of aloof surrounding him. "Oh?"

She rolled her eyes at Isaac's attempt at being nonchalant and said, "Yep. That was a pleasant treat."

"Somehow I don't believe you."

"Ugh," she groaned. "He's so bitter."

"Of course he is," he said as his eyes followed a plane in the distance, zooming through the clouds. "It's Mark. He's always been bitter."

"Yeah, well..." Alice crossed her arms and pointed her nose in the air. "He doesn't have to be such a dick to me. It's not like he was the perfect boyfriend."

Isaac's forehead crinkled as he looked down at Alice, sliding over a couple inches to make the wide gap between them a little smaller. "What did he do, exactly?"

"He just..." she trailed off before giving a weak huff. "He said some stupid thing about Fiona...and me...and you..."

"That's very descriptive."

"Okay, he basically said that Fiona is too good for you, but that I would be good enough for you. So, he essentially said that Fiona is better than me."

"Hey, no," Isaac's eyes widened and he quickly slid over even more, so they were close enough that he was able to brush the tip of her pinky with his own. "That's not true. Fiona is not too good for me."

Alice snapped her neck to face him and raised an eyebrow.

"No, no, that came out wrong," he said quickly, pinching the bridge of his nose as Alice's dubious expression turned into amusement. "I meant that... Fiona isn't better than you. You're better than Fiona. And you're a million times too good for me... am I making sense?"

"I get what you're saying, and thank you," she said and giggled quickly before her lips returning to a frown. "I guess I'm just annoyed because Mark knows me, you know? Even if he doesn't necessarily like the real me, he knows me, and he barely knows Fiona, yet he's saying that she's better than me."

"Umm..." Isaac rubbed the back of his neck and narrowed his eyes. "Yeah, but he's only saying that to get under your skin... he doesn't actually know what he's talking about. Why does your ex-boyfriend's opinion of my ex-girlfriend even matter?"

"It doesn't matter," Alice said and bit her lip as she tightened her arms across her chest. "It's just that... it got me to thinking about how..."