0

"Thomas." I whisper, my fingers tracing his cheekbone.

Today is my last day with him before he leaves for the war and I want to make the most out of it.

"Georgia." He whispers back, his eyes still closed.

"Wake up." I whisper and one of his eyes open.

"It's not even light yet." He says, turning over and resting his head in my chest.

"It is light." I say, running my fingers through his hair. "Which means it's our last day together, and I want to make the bloody most of it."

"I've got to get a haircut today." He mumbles, thumbs tracing circles into my skin.

"I'll be going. Same as Martha. And probably Polly."

"It's going to be torture, leaving you." He whispers, and I sigh.

"You made the decision to sign up, Thomas."

"Don't call me Thomas. You only call me Thomas when you're mad at me and you can't be mad at me today. It's our last day together." He says, picking his head up and his bright blue eyes meet my brown.

"I'm not mad." I say and he drops his head. "I'm annoyed, but not mad." My fingers continue tracing paths through his hair.

"I could lay like this forever." He says, his lips grazing my skin.

"So never leave." I say, tears welling in my eyes, but not one dares to fall.

I won't cry today.

Today is a happy day.

-

"Get up you two." Polly says from outside our bedroom door, startling me awake. Tommy and I fell back asleep after our little chat in the early morning, and I'm not quite sure what time it is now. "It's time for breakfast." It's just gone nine, then. Polly's quite punctual when it comes to breakfast.

"Tom." I say, shaking him slightly, and his eyes flutter open a bit, the bright blue flashing.

"What?" He asks groggily, his hand covering his beautiful eyes as he rubs them.

"Breakfast." I say and get out of bed, but he instantly pulls me back down. "Come on, Pol knocked."

"Fuck Pol, it's my last morning with you." He kisses me.

"Georgia and Thomas! Now!" Polly shouts from outside the door. "Don't make me come back!"

"Christ, she's in a mood."

"Do you blame her?" I ask and get up, pulling on Thomas' favorite dress of mine and he smiles, looking at me, still laying in bed. "Come on."

"You're wearing that dress and I don't even get to fuck you later." He shakes his head with a sigh.

"Which is why we made up for all of that last night, darling." I pat his cheek. "Now come, on." I pull him up.

"Pick out my clothes." He places a cigarette in his mouth, and I do as he says, laying out a suit and placing his hat on top of it.

"Now, get dressed." I say and leave the room, heading downstairs where Ada, John, Martha and their two toddlers are already sitting in the dining room.

"Morning, Gee." John smiles at me.

"Morning, John." I smile back. "Morning, Martha, Ada." I smile at her, and tap the baby in her arms nose.

My heart breaks for her. Three kids and her husband is going off to war.

"Is he up?" Polly asks me and I nod. "Good. Getting dressed, I assume."