196

I read the letter from Pol over and over. Telling me how Georgia's not left our room in days, how she hears her crying all the time. It breaks my heart, but there's nothing I can do.

All I can do is write her a letter, and that's what I think had a part in her feeling this way. My letters.

"Who's that from?" John asks, looking over at me.

"Polly. Georgia's been crying for days."

"Martha did the same thing, she just did it sooner. Maybe she finally broke. Realized that you weren't just nipping out to get cigarettes." John says and I nod with a sigh.

"Maybe that's it."

"Write her a letter. It's what I did. I said that I knew it would be hard, but she's got to be strong."

"That's where our wives differ, John. She was being strong and she broke. Pol said that she was alone at the Garrison sobbing over a letter that I had sent her. She wasn't drunk. Just fucking crying. Pol said that she promised me that she would stay strong, which she did, but she said that she fucking couldn't anymore. And if anything bad happens to her I'll have to live with the fact that it's all my fault." I say angrily and lay down, covering my face with my hands.

"You have to say something to her. It might make her go even more mad."

"Yeah, Tom. It's Georgia we're talking about here." Danny says, a small smile on his face. "She would do fucking anything that you told her to."

"Oi, Arthur, do you think you could draw something for me?" I say, getting an idea.

"I've not drawn in fucking years, but I reckon I could give it a shot."

"My eyes. They're what made Georgia love me. Could you draw them?" I ask and he shrugs.

"Worth a shot, innit?"

-

It took a lot of tries, but Arthur drew my eyes pretty well, and I sent the drawing, along with a letter off to my Georgia.

"We're heading to Mons! Move out!" Our sergeant says and we instantly grab our necessities and head out.