50

"Shelby, you've got post." Some random bloke says, and instantly, I'm rushing towards him, taking the letter from him.

I know it's for me, and once I got a look at the curly writing on the front, I was sure of it.

"Tommy,

My dear, dear, Tommy.

It took a month a fucking half to get your letters.

A fucking month and a half.

Polly went down to the post office and gave them a piece of her mind, so I'll be receiving your letters the day that they arrive from here on out, I believe.

There should be a picture of me on the way very soon, I didn't have one on hand, so I had to go out and get it taken, so I'm picking it up tomorrow, and I'll send it in another letter after that.

I love the pin you sent me and I want you to know that I'll be wearing it everyday, because any day without you is a hard one.

And yes, there was a race, and yes, we had it fixed. I sent a letter to Billy Kimber and asked very kindly if we could have inside information until our men were back from the war because times here in Small Heath are very tough, and he graciously complied. I wouldn't be surprised if you had something to say about that though.

Working at the Garrison is tiring, and I think I'm getting strong from it, so by the time you get back, don't be surprised if I'm well hench by the time you get back.

Give Arthur and John my love, even if most of it is saved for you.

Our bed is cold without you, my dear. That's the hardest part of you not being here.

I love you endlessly, my Tom.

Yours forever,

Georgia."

"Is that from Gee?" Arthur asks, coming up to me and I nod.

"She says hello." I say and he smiles.

"I know you miss her, Tom." He pats my back. "I miss everyone. Her, Pol, hell, I even miss John's baby hell raisers."

"Did she send you that photo you've been dying for?" John asks, approaching the two of us and I shake my head.

"She got it taken, but it's not yet ready. Should be coming soon, I bloody hope." I sigh.

"I've got Martha taking a portrait with all the kids." John says and I nod.

"It'll be good luck to have a photo. I can feel it." I say and the two of them smile, leaving me to read over Georgia's letter more. "Oh, how I miss you, my dear." I whisper to myself, folding the letter back up and putting it in my shirt pocket before laying down, a hand resting over the paper.

-

"Shelby! More post. All three of you, in fact." The same bloke says the following day, and the three of us go up to him, taking envelopes from him.

"Aw, old Charlotte from the whore house sent me a letter." Arthur says with a smile, going to his cot and flopping down onto it, John and I doing the same.

"Tom,

Another day, another letter.

Here's the photo you've been dying for.

I hope it's everything you dreamed of.

Keep it close to your heart on days you miss me, which I hope are all of them.

I also sent you a pin. I know you can't wear it on your uniform, but put it on under, so that I'm with you just like you're with me.

Miss you terribly. Love you always.

Yours forever,

Georgia."

A small smile comes across my face as I see she managed to find a fucking 'G' pin. I wouldn't be surprised if she had it specially made.

"What's that, Tom?" Arthur asks, taking a seat at the end of my cot.

"Picture and this." I show him the pin.

"Classic, Gee." John laughs, coming over as well. "Think she went and had it special made?"

"Her or Pol, yeah." I say and clip it onto my tank top under my shirt. "Miss them heaps." I say and they both nod.

"Miss everyone." John nods. "Who would've thought that after leaving shitty little Small Heath we'd miss it so much."

"We ran shit. Of course we'd miss it." Arthur says with a sad smile.