1,001

"Georgia,

If I've timed everything correctly, with any luck, you'll be getting this letter on the day that marks one thousand days since I left Small Heath.

1,000 days without each other.

I think the longest we ever spent without each other since we ever met was when you were sick for a week, and your mum wouldn't let me in the house. And even then, I could talk to you from your window.

Love you endlessly, my dear.

I miss you, Georgia. See you soon, I hope.

Yours always,

Tom."

"He says it's been one thousand days since he left." I say to Polly, looking up from my letter at dinnertime.

"One thousand and one." Polly says quietly with a nod. "I mark every single day those boys aren't here down." She continues. "On me calendar. Hurts more and more every single day." She says sadly, and then picks up our plates, going to the kitchen.

"Is Aunt Polly sad?" Finn looks up at me and I nod.

"Yeah, I'm going to put the kettle on, will you bring her some tea and give her a cuddle in a few minutes?" I ask and he gives me a small nod and I stand, going to the kitchen. "I've got it. Go up to bed, Finn'll bring you a cup of tea." I say, and she turns to me with watery eyes.

"Thank you." She hugs me. "Thank you for stepping up when I can't."

"It's what a Shelby does, isn't it?" I ask and she nods, wiping her cheeks.

"Damn right. Have him bring me some whiskey as well." She says and goes upstairs.