Chapter 2

~~~

~~~

Bree walked out of her hotel room and sat down in the diner, leaning back in a comfortable booth.

'Welcome at Granny's! Can I get you something?' a girl, dressed in mostly red, asked her cheerily. Her question quickly followed up with another one once she looked at the blonde in front of her, 'Are you new in town?'

Brynhilde smiled, 'I think I am indeed. Can I see the menu please?'

'Of course! I am Ruby, it's nice to meet you.'

 Ruby disappeared and came back with the menu, handing it over to her. Bree looked at it, the brownie was truly appealing. But she knew she should probably get a real meal, since she hadn't eaten in awhile. She bit her lip as she had to decide between wanting and needing. A sigh escaped her lips as she gave in and ordered the brownie anyway along with an orange juice.

She smiled as she remembered Kol telling her those two things didn't match. Her eyes became glazed at the thought of him, she could still remember how she watched helplessly while the white oak stake pierced through his heart. She blinked away the painful memory when her order appeared in front of her and to her surprise Ruby settled on the opposite side of the table.

'So, what brings you to Storybrooke?' 

She answered quite rapidly, 'I think I just needed a change, a fresh start.'

Ruby nodded understandingly, 'So, what is your name... New girl?'

'Brynhilde, but you can call me Bree.'

Ruby's eyes widened, 'That's such an amazing name! Why haven't I ever heard it before?'

'It's a Norse Viking name, not very common.'

Ruby nodded and she left the table when her Grandmother called her to get back to her work. Bree took a bite from her brownie and quietly ate the rest of it, while watching the human life play out in front of her. 

She paid the bill and went outside, only to see a man in the middle of the road. He was a bit fat and dressed like he was from another era, he seemed to have quite a lot of trouble too adjust. It reminded her of herself, when she had been daggered for another one hundred years and had to adjust to a new life.

'Sir?! Excuse me, Sir?!' Bree shouted while motioning for him to come to her.

He stomped towards her and she continued when he stood next to her, 'You have to walk on the tiles, it's saver to be close to the buildings.'

He smiled at her and mumbled a thank you before heading towards the woods. A small smile covered Brynhilde's lips as she watched him.

She walked around town and stopped at the hospital, she bit her lip as she debated whether to go inside or not. She'd really like to see Killian again, she didn't know why he intrigued her. But there was something about him she couldn't place, so she went inside anyway. She unbuttoned her coat as she walked towards the information desk.

'How can I help you?' the lady asked, however not very interested in her answer.

'I was wondering where the people from yesterday's cars crash are?' Bree asked, realising she should probably check up on the man they were once about to kill too.

The lady sighed and turned towards her computer, 'Killian Jones has been discharged this morning. Belle French is currently in room 105 and Greg Mendell is currently in room 067.'

'Thank you.'

Bree couldn't help the disappointment slipping through her voice, she had hoped he'd still be here. But she smiled anyway as she decided to go check up on Greg Mendell.

She knocked on his door and he raised his voice: 'Come in.'

She smiled, she didn't need to be invited in as this was a hospital. But still, humans used these words so easily without realising how many power they contained. She opened the door and as Greg saw her a frown appeared on his face, he didn't know her. However that shouldn't be that surprising in a new town, he quickly realised.

'I'm Bree, I was the one who drove behind you,' Bree told him with a smile.

His eyebrows raised, 'Oh! I am Greg.'

Bree sat down on the chair beside his bed. 'So, how are they treating you here?' Bree asked slightly concerned.

He sighed, 'They're alright, they're just... not very subtle about how pleased they'd be to see me leave.'

A giggle escaped Bree's mouth, however mostly from relief. They hadn't killed him yet. She told him to get better soon and went to find Belle, she had been in the accident too. And Bree felt obligated to visit her as well. She knocked on the door and waited for a response, when she didn't hear one she opened the door cautiously.

A girl was laying on her bed, lost in a book. Bree smiled as it reminded her of herself.

'Hello?' Bree asked.

Belle looked up startled, 'I'm sorry... I didn't hear you coming inside.'

'That's okay,' she reassured Belle.

'I'm sorry, do I know you?'

Bree shook her head, 'No, you don't. I was in the car crash and decided to check up on everyone.'

Belle smiled, while lifting herself so she sat straight. 'That's very kind.'

'I try.' Bree frowned as she looked at the girl, something was clearly bothering her, 'What's wrong?'

Something inside Belle snapped as she had trouble trying not to cry, her lip trembled and she looked down at her hands. She looked up again trying to blink away the tears that were threatening to roll down, 'It's just... Everyone wants me to be someone named Belle... And I... I just don't... remember that girl... They look so hurt... I just can't do anything...'

Bree moved closer towards Belle and hugged her, 'You can't be that person for them anymore. But that doesn't mean you can't be a new person in their lives. Make new friends and you should tell them that. That they shouldn't look at you as the person they remember. That they should look at you as a new person.'

Belle looked Bree in the eyes and she mumbled, 'Thank you.'

Bree smiled, 'You're welcome.'