15

place: Forrest Harper High School
Time: 3:00 p.m
Date: September 1st, 2001

"So what you doing today after school?" I said leaning on the locker next to Beyonce's.

She looked at me and went back to her books. "It is after school Shawn."

"I know that...I mean would you like to hang with me?"

"I don't know Shawn, I mean I promised my auntie that I'd finish my project."

"I could help you."

She shut her locker. "That's sweet, but you should stay home with Aaliyah."

"You're probally right. But does that mean I can't come see you tonight"

"Yes. Don't worry, it's not like I'm going anywhere. You can still come see me another time okay." I stuffed my hands in my pockets as I walked with her. She looked over at me as I kept sighing. "Are you mad at me?"

I didn't say anything, so she walked in front of me backwards. "Huh?"

I looked away and smiled a little as I made my way down the empty hallway.

She stopped me by pressing her hands against my shoulders. "C'mon you can tell me. We're friends right? Friends tell each other everything."
I raised my eyebrow. "Naw I'm not mad at you. But I gotta get home. I dont wanna miss my bus."

"What about Aaliyah, don't you have to pick her up?"

"Nah my mom got her for awhile." I turned to walk away but she stopped me.

"Would you like for me to take me home?"

"Nah, you go on ahead...in fact. I think imma walk home. I need to clear somethings out in my head. I got a few things to think about."

"You sure?" she questioned.

"Yeah"

"Alright, gimmie a hug" She said reaching up for me, but I shook my head. "Oh you too good to give me a hug now." I nodded. "Something like that" I grabbed her hand and shook it. "I'll see you later." I walked out of the school and down the street towards my house, leaving her confused.

Beyonce POV
later on that night

I was sitting at my computer desk working on this science project. It was a group project and I had to do the research paper and turn it in by Monday. Someone knocked on my door, and I was going to turn around but I was too into it.

"Come in"

The door swung open. "Hey BeeBee, me and your uncle are going out for a couple of hours." My aunt said walking over to me.

I just nodded. "Okay, what about Kelly?"

"She's about to go on a date with Roy. You know it's hard to keep them apart."

"Yeah"

She placed her hand on my shoulder. "Why don't you call Shawn?"

"Nah, I'm fine. I just wanna finish this up and then I'm going to bed."

"Oh okay sweetie, well I'll see you later."

"Okay." She turned to walk out of the room as I went back to work.

* * *

I was almost done with my paper, so I took an hour break to take a shower and order some hot wings. I ate and then was on my way back upstairs when I heard my phone ring from the kitchen. I walked quickly back to get it.

"Hello." I said leaning on the counter.

"Wussup B"

I rolled my eyes a little. "Hey" I said softly.

"Why you sound all sad and what not?"

"I'm just tired is all. What you want anyway?"

"Why you jumping all down my throat, what I do to you?"

"Nothing"

"Oh so it's like that. You not gone tell me?"

"You should know...you did it!" I exclaimed.

He sighed all hard. "Umm can I call you back a little later?"

I bit down on my lip. "Yeah whatever." With that, I hung up on him and shook my head before running upstairs. I sat down at my computer desk and typed up the last part of my paper and printed out 3 copies. I turned off my lamp by my desk and laid down in my bed with that lamp on. I watched one of my favorite movies Love and Basketball. Just as the movie got to the part where they were rolling in the grass, I heard the doorbell ring. Furiously I tossed back the blankets and got up out of the bed, slowly walking downstairs. They rung it again.

"I'M COMING DAMN!" I yelled from the other side. I unlocked the door and opened it, only to find Shawn standing there. "What do you want?" I asked placing my hand on my hip.

He reached to hug me, but I moved back. "I just came to see you."

"Well you saw me and now you can go home." I said while trying to shut the door on him. He stopped me and came all the way in.

"What's the matter with you?"

"Nothing, okay, just nothing." I turned away from him and ran back upstairs to my room. I dove into my covers and continued to watch the movie. A few minutes later Shawn came busting into my room without his shoes on and everything. "Didn't I say to go home."

"I can't leave here with you being mad at me." He said sitting down on my bed.

"Well I'm not mad so you can leave now!"

He laid down next to me, and put his feet all on my covers. "That's not going to happen so get over it."

* * *

As the movie got to the part where he was engaged, I turned and looked over at Shawn. He was deep into the movie and everything. I just wanted to punch him in the throat for acting like he was too good to give me a hug earlier. I know we are just supposed to be friends, but I was sick of playing this game with him. What was stopping us from being together! He was just so damn sexy to me and such a great person. We were perfect for each other, but maybe he doesn't want me like that.

"Why you looking at me like that?" He asked turning his head.

I stopped the DVD and turned and looked at him. "I wanna know."

"You wanna know what?" He asked sitting up.

"I wanna know why we keep playing this game with each other. We say we're friends but we always end up kissing. What's stopping us from being together?"

He just looked at me as he rubbed the back of his neck with one hand. "Umm Beyonce...." was all that came out.

"Shawn I like you...I really do. I wanna be with you. Since the day I got here I've wanted to be your girl."
I paused. "So I wanna know, how long are we gonna keep this front up. Are we friends or more than that?"

He just looked at the carpet. "I don't know what to say."

I got up out of my bed with tears in my eyes and walked over to my chair and got his jacket. Slowly I handed it to him."Just go home Shawn. You win okay. The game is over...I quit."

He didn't say anything. He just got up and left. I leaned against the wall and slid down to the floor and cried. Why was he doing this?!