35

place: Shawn's apartment
Time: 2:30 a.m
Date: January 3rd 2002

Almost 17 hours ago, I lost the love of my life. My future wifey. The one meant for me. I was stupid. Ignorant. Jealous. Selfish. Dumb. A fool. How could I let her slip away? How could I lose her? The note in one hand, the ring in the other. The slow sad love songs playing in the background. The tears. The red eyes. The pain. As the cd changed to James Taylor "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone", I read the letter over again for the millionth time, making sure that I didn't misread it and she actually didn't break up with me.

Dear Shawn,

As much as this hurts, I have to do it. I know that we've tried and tried to make this work, but baby we haven't been on the same page for awhile now. Not since Christmas anyway. It's like we both want to be together but neither one of us is making the effort to try to stay together. I remember a song that I used to sing awhile before we met, and the lyric that stood out was "without trust there is no love." And basically Shawn, we don't have that relationship. You don't trust me, and I'm tired of trying to convice you that I'm not out doing you wrong.

You should know me. I'm not like that. Shawn, I'm tired of crying. I'm tired of being in pain. And I'm tired of getting hurt. You promised that you would never hurt me or ever make me cry like Ryan did in the past. You promised not to be him! But you turned into him today. What I saw today hurt me more than words itself. How could you do that to me? How could you hold her like you hold me? How could you put your lips on her?

How could you not care? That's the worst part. You carried on like you didn't care about me or what you were doing. You've embarrassed me, and you've hurt me in the deepest way possible. But I guess you still don't care. I feel like we've wasted time in this relationship, but I won't say it because you took me to a place in life that I have never been. I was so happy when we're together. But I guess every great thing comes to an end. And this is ours. I'm giving back the ring, and I'm putting our memories and relationship to a rest.

I can't go on like this Shawn, and I want out. I refuse to cry over you. I'm sorry, but I'm done. I want to be the one to explain this to Aaliayh. I want her to understand that I'm not walking out of her life. I'll be by soon to pick her up. Don't use this as a chance to make it work, because I'm out of words, I'm out of tears, and you're out of time. Goodbye Shawn
- Beyonce

But she did break up.

As the song changed to Luther Vandross "Since I lost my baby," I held the ring up to my face and shook my head. Letting the tears fall.

----
One week later

"Where am I going?" Aaliyah asked me, as I put on her outfit.

"You're going with Beyonce today."

Her face lit up and it killed me. "REALLY! Are you going too daddy?"

"Naw babygirl not this time. You two are going to talk."

"About what?"

"I promised that I'd let Beyonce tell you."

"Oh-tay!" She looked at me confused as I put on her Air Force Ones. "Daddy you oh-tay?"

I gave her a half smile. "Yeah...why?"

She shrugged. "I dunno, ya just look sad. And ya music is sad too."