21

place: Shawn's apartment
Time: 4:12 p.m
Date: October 10th, 2001

"What you over there working on?" I asked looking towards my bed where Beyonce was laid out. She was reading and writing every now and then. I sighed when she didn't answer me. "Helllllo" I said even louder. I threw my pencil at her forehead. She jumped and reached up, pulling the small ear buds from her ears.

"What you throw that at me for?"

"I've been tryna get your attention!"

She rolled her eyes and tossed it back. "Well all you had to do was say something, didn't have to hit me."

I walked over from my desk and went and kissed her on the forehead. "Well Im sorry." I bent down in front of her. "What you working on?"

"Oh...I was just applying for a few colleges. Nothing big."

I sat down next to her. "Oh, so what schools you tryna get into?"

She handed me one application. "I was thinking about maybe NYU." I nodded as she kept going.
"And..."

"And what?" I said looking up. "There's more right?"

"Yeah but, I don't know if you wanna see them right away."

I laughed. "Can't be that bad so where are they?"

"I was thinking maybe Harvard, which is in..."

I cut her off with a frown. "Massachusetts...you wanna go to a school in another state?" She sighed and got up off the bed, making sure to grab up the rest of the papers and make an exit from the bedroom.

"Wait!" I got up off the bed. I quickly ran after her. By the time I made it all the way out, she had went outside. I followed after her and went right outside. She was leaning on the metal rail. "What you leave for?"

"Cause I knew that was gonna happen. You saw I was filling out an out of state application and then you freaked out."

"What other schools did you pick?" I asked leaning on the rail next to her. As she looked over at me, the sun beamed down into her eyes, making them look even lighter.

"You promise not to freak out this time?"

I nodded. "I promise"

"Mm-kay, well I was thinking of Prairie View back in Houston where I grew up, either that or Tuskeegee University down south in Alabama. That was a last choice though." She looked at me again waiting for a response. I laughed and moved behind her, wrapping my arms around her backside and kissed her neck one good time.

"Well..." she said.

"Well I think you can go to any school you want to. You got it all, and I think you can get into any school."

"But where do you think I should go?"

I smiled. "I could sit here all day and try and convince you to go to somewhere close to me, but at the end of the day it's up to you baby."

"Yeah I guess you're right...but I mean I have the rest of this first semester to think about it though."

I nodded. "You know you never told me what you want to do after high school. I know all the talents you have, but what are you gonna do exactly?"

She turned around in my arms and placed her hands on my arms. "I want to be a model. I mean I have done a lot of pageants and had like 12 photshoots in my life. But my mom wants me to go to college still."

I bit my lip. "Now dats hot baby"

She wrapped her arms around my neck. "Oh really"

I leaned in and kissed her on the lips. "Yup"

***

Beyonce POV

I stood over the stove as I finished up the spaghetti. I turned off the eye on the stove and looked over at the kitchen table and smiled.

"And then...she had the nerve to make me take a nap! Can you believe that?!" I just laughed and sat a bowl in front of Aaliyah.

"I can imagine why she made you take a nap. You've been bouncing all over the place since you got back home."

She smiled and took the fork I held in front of her face. "Well it's Nafin's fault. He said I could have anything I wanted."

"So you went for the sugar right?" She nodded as she twirled a forkful of spaghetti. "What you want to drink?"

"Milk"

"Okay" I got her sippy cup and poured some milk in it and snapped the top on it before handing it to her.

"When's my daddy coming home?" she asked wiping her mouth with the back of her hand. I handed her a napkin before looking at my watch.

"He said he was gonna get off work around 8, but I'm not sure."

"Well what time is it? I can't tell time."

"Going on 5, but we have alot of time so after you eat what do you wanna do?"

She shrugged her little shoulders. "I dunno...can we go to the park?"

"Alright we can do that, but you gotta eat first." she picked up her fork and started eating.

***

"Look Bee! Watch me!" Aaliyah yelled as she went down the slide laughing. I was there to catch her at the end. "That was fun" she said dangling her feet over the edge of the slide. I stood up and stuffed my hands in my pockets as I looked up at the sky. We had been here for awhile. It was getting dark, and even though I wasn't her mother, I knew better than to have a 2 year old out like that.

"It's getting dark." I said looking down at her.

"I know...but I don't wanna go yet. Can we get on the swings?"

"Alright, but after this we have to go okay" She nodded and took my hand. We walked over and I sat her on the swing. I started to push her but she stopped me with her hands. "What's the matter, I thought you wanted me to push you?"

"I wanna swing with you"

"Ohhh I see." I sat down on the swing next to her, and she jumped up into my lap facing me. She held onto me as we started to swing.

"I like hanging with you Bee, you're fun to hang with. More than my Nana."

"Aww well I feel special"

She smiled. "My daddy thinks so...he said you're special to him. Just like me."

"He said that?"

"Yup" she leaned forward and laid her head on my shoulder as we kept swinging. I just couldn't help but to smile.