chapter 4

"Michael?" I hear someone call my name through the barn.

                "Ya?" I call back, continuing to fill the feed buckets as fast as i can.

                "Michael" They call again, this time closer. I look up to find Luke standing in the doorway. I stand up completely and drag my eyes over him. He looks good in my clothes not gonna lie.

                  "We will make a rancher out of you yet! I grin, he just frowns and scoffs.

                  "Please, I'm just here for the summer."

                   "Well you're here you might as well make yourself useful, here" I hand him two feed buckets. He takes them from me but looks confused.

                  "Just hang them on the hooks in the stalls of the horses that don't have them yet" I say, grabbing four of them myself.

                 "Ok..." he says a little skeptically.

                 "You'll be fine, they don't bite. Just go slow." I reassure him. Walking down the aisle of stalls and putting the buckets in.

                  "Um.." I hear Luke say. Looking over I see that he's just standing outside the stall.

                    "You have to go in" I laugh, going back to grab four more buckets. When i come back out he's in the stall but he's pinned to the wall with a terrified look on his face.

                      "What are you doing?" I laugh, walking into the stall and getting between him and the horse.

                    "um , can I do something else?" he asks wide eyed.

                   "Ya , maybe this was too much for you to handle so soon." I motion for him to follow me out of the barn.

                   I lead him over to the chicken coup, picking up the small wooden basket with hay in it when we get there.

                     "Ok here, Just gather the eggs and bring them inside" I hand him the basket. He nods, looking a lot more comfortable to be doing this. I make sure he's ok for a few seconds, then jog back to the stables, I'm already behind on time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                   "Yo Mikey, you in here?" I hear someone call.

                    "Ya" I shout back knowing it's one of four people. I stand up, from cleaning Bubbles' hooves, getting her ready for her riding lesson today.

                    "Hey, Cal's here too, he's already with the dogs" Ash says when he comes into sight. I nod and find a rag to wipe my hands on.

                  "Ok, so who's up for checkups today?" I ask. Ash looks down to his clip board, placing his bag on the ground and flipping the page.

                  "It seems everyone, that time of the year huh?"

                 "Ya, ok, i have some other things to do before lessons today so can I leave you alone?" I ask, thinking that I haven't heard a peep from Luke in a while.

                "Oh ya no problem, I'll come get you when i'm done here, maybe go help cal." he says. I raise an eyebrow.

               "When are you guys going to date?" I ask teasingly resulting in a blushing curly haired Aussie. I laugh.